Favorite Beaches: Cocal, Costa Rica; Harkstead, Ipswich, UK
Style: still a beginner!
Gear: Cabrinha 12
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

hi from Pavones, Costa Rica

Postby humanjellyfish » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:37 am

been reading the forum for a few weeks now and about time I introduced myself. Living down here in southern Costa Rica for 5 years counting. World famous for its surf (and soon SUP too), but also great seasonal wind (Nov through to March/April pretty much guaranteed, and when it's sunny outside those dates too). Been kiting for about 2 years and totally addicted to the adrenalin rush! Have several kites in various states of disrepair, but the love of my life is a Cabrinha Contra 12m. I'm a slow learner (didn't start until after my 40th and have three small kids and a business to run) but am lucky to have a mate who's a great instructor and v patient.....
Anyway, we don't get many kiters down here (on a busy day there're 5 of us!) so it would be great to have visitors. We'll make you very welcome. We have a consistent onshore wind and a large captive bay within a deep water tropical fjord - warm water all year round with waves. Paradise. If you like remote, beautiful, hot and laidback you'll love it here!
cheers everyone and thanks for all the useful tips

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: hi from Pavones, Costa Rica

Postby Laughingman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:08 am

Welcome to the circus!

I find it coincidental that you would post this evening, I was just considering Costa Rica for a 10 day holiday in January.
Where abouts is Pavones, Costa Rica, a google maps search puts it in the middle of the land away from all the water! Which seems to be the default location for any google maps search of Costa Rica I have done so far. If you could be so kind to share some travelers information that would be great. We would love to visit!

Sincerely

Pete

humanjellyfish
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pavones, Cocal, Pilon, Zancudo, Costa Rica

Postby humanjellyfish » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:02 am

hi Pete, thanks for the welcome. Yes google tends to do that with Pavones.
We're the southern tip bordering Panama on the Pacific side, just inside the Golfo Dulce. World famous (no kidding) for its surf (locals say it's the longest lefthand point break in the world, but I expect lots of places say the same). We're v remote - unpaved road and surrounded by rainforest. A couple of nice hotels, lots of surfer accomodation; a few restaurants.
January's a great time to visit. We don't get any weather as such here so we rely on a thermal wind and we need the sun to generate it. But as January is in the middle of the dry season you'd be pretty much guarenteed a good wind from about 11am until 3 or 4pm. Surf or SUP in the morning when there's no wind and glassy smooth waves, then kite in the afternoon. Marvelous!! We kite away from the surfers, so no worries about disturbing the lineup.... Please come - we love having visiting kiters. It's a huge Gulf with lots of room to play! Check out my website to get a better feel for the place www.southerncostaricaland.com . Would you be alone or with family or friends? If with other nonkiters there's lots of other stuff to keep them happy.
cheers

humanjellyfish
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pavones, Cocal, Pilon, Zancudo, Costa Rica

Postby humanjellyfish » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:10 am

Pete, just realised I didn't tell you how to get here....
Flights in to San Jose (capital) then either a 7 hour drive; or take an internal flight to Golfito followed by an hour and a bit drive. Can rent cars in Golfito. Can rent kite gear here if you don't want the hassle of bringing your own.

bbong02
Rare Poster
Local Beach: TX

Postby bbong02 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:12 am

Its a great place for a adventure to see some real unspoiled CR.

Return to “Kitesurfing”