Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Forum for kitesurfers
SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby SimonP » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:06 pm

When I started on the RPMs I felt that the struts were relatively soft even with 8-9psi. After a while I stopped worrying about it and I only use the clips in outgoing current, cross-off, or storm conditions.

Some kite designers recommend for their kites that the struts should be rock hard. These tend to be "high performance" kites where the struts have very narrow diameters. Another reason was that the early bow kites could invert if the user sheeted out too much and inflating the kites super hard stopped that problem somewhat. The original Turbo Diesel was one of the those kites :wink:

Simon

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby shymac » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:50 am

Ya' that's it... just pump it up more it will be :allbegood:
TilmanHH wrote:
shymac wrote:
TilmanHH wrote:Hey guys I got my 2010 rpm without a manual. Can I download it somewhere? To what psi is the pumping recommended? thx
Downloadable PDF file
http://www.slingshotsports.com/s.nl/cty ... ategory=47
Hey thanks for the link but it doesn´t work... :o
Sorry about that... The link was cut off. But all you need to do is go to www.slingshotsports.com and look for Kite Knowledge Center section of the site. It will be on the main page. From there just pick Kites and then pick RPM. Anything regarding the RPM will be in there. Cheers.

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Hybridkiter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:49 am

In the end I think you need to find a kite that performs how you want it to. The RPM, and the Rebel, for example, are two very popular kites, but they fly very different--by design. What's better? What do you want/like? Upwind racing, long floaty jumps, super rigid, efficient wing-like feel = Rebel. Softer, deeper in the pocket, more nimble = RPM.

You can make these sorts of comparisons all day long between any two kites. Are three struts enough? Yeah, for me, 100% enough. Would three be enough if I was course racing? Nope.

trxdude
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, San Diego CA aka Stinky's, Mission Beach, Silver Strand, Belmont Shore
Favorite Beaches: Key West, Kailua, Tourmaline,
Style: kook
Gear: 2012 Light Wave Dave 44in Storm, 2011 Slingshot 17m Turbine, 2011 Lost 6'2" x 22.75 x 2.56 Keahana Motivator, 2011 Naish 115 x 42 cm Wakeskate, 2012 Blade 12m Trigger, 2012 LWD 6'1 2012 DV8, 2004 Slingshot Fuel 11m, 2003 Slingshot Fuel 8m, 2013 Slingshot Rally 14m, 2010 Slingshot RPM 10m, 2012 Airush SKC 114 x 42, Custom Little Devil Surf Skate, Liquid Force Anthem 44 Skate w/ Slingshot Fins, Lost Whiplash 6'4" x 18.77 x 2.3

wishlist: (6m, 8m, 10m BWS Noise) (2012-2013 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m Fuel) (2013 10m Cloud) (2013 9m Cabrinha Switchblade w/Jason Stone Skate)

Could also use a lot more of those precision things Dorothy's friends wanted from the Wizard of Oz, i.e. strength, courage and heart : )
Brand Affiliation: Zendiego Fitness

Postby trxdude » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 am

After flying my 10m RPM today and watching a 17m Cloud buzz around yesterday, I'm partially convinced that I could close off my strut valves and fill only the RPM leading edge to 9.5 psi and still have a very fun kite. Guessing as LE tech gets more advanced, struts will be a thing of the past, or at least a small part of kite physiology.
Some cool vids in this post! Loved watching that 6m RPM buzz around at it's low end. That's my mission, find the smallest kite I can use with an honest surfboard. With aggressive flying, unhooked precision, and solid board skills, it looks as though you can extend the low of of a kite by 3-5 kt. Meaning at 90 kg, on my 6; 4" surfboard, I'd be able to use a 9m Fuel or 10m RPM in 14-15 knots.........

Return to “Kitesurfing”