Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks, NC
Cape Cod
Style: water, snow, land
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wave riding in On-Shore wind?

Postby alden » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Is there a general kite handling technique for wave riding/slashing in direct on-shore wind? Actually I was doing a down winder on a large lake and since the waves were going direct down wind I think the conditions must be similar. I was slashing the wave face on toeside with kite high, and then running with the wind, then doing a heelside bottom turn with kite lower and having to edge and pull VERY hard to head back upwind enough to get another wave face. I was slightly overpowered and it was a lot of work. Common conditions here so is there an alternate/better technique?

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wave riding in On-Shore wind?

Postby jwoodunlv » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:27 pm

When slashing off the top turn the kite leading edge up and as you ride down the face it should drift backwards. If you want to bottom turn heelside keep the kite kite with the leading edge pointing forward and up. This way the kite won't be pulling hard as you try to make the turn and will allow you to ride up the face a little easier. You don't have to move the kite much if it is windy. If it is really light, as you complete the turn off the top you can down loop the kite so it doesn't stall.

Return to “Kitesurfing”