Forum for kitesurfers
Vigovsky
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Choosing kitesurfboard for wave riding

Postby Vigovsky » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:24 am

Hello all,

I really need your help. I've been looking for some tips and hints on how to choose right board for a while but still don't have clear picture.

I'm beginner at wave riding. Now I surf in small on shore waves on twintip but planning to buy a kite surfboard. Many ppl advised me to try different board and choose the one I like the best. But since I'm not familiar with surf boards I need some starting point, and after some time I can choose right one by myself.

So now in my short list I have:
1. North WAM 6'0 2011
2. Crazyfly Thunder 6'2 2011
3. wainman hawaii mangnum 6'0 or 6'2

I'm 185 cm and about 95 kilo. I'm considering North WAM 6'0 as a main option. But still not sure if that size fits me.
Not sure if it matters but I use North Rebel kites.

Thanks for any your ideas in advance.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Choosing kitesurfboard for wave riding

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 am

Vigovsky wrote:Hello all,
Many ppl advised me to try different board and choose the one I like the best. But since I'm not familiar with surf boards I need some starting point, and after some time I can choose right one by myself.
Thanks for any your ideas in advance.
This is key. Unless you can say more about what you are looking for it'll be impossible to actually give you any advise.
Actually I have not tried either of the boards you are referring to, but try to think a little about what conditions you'll be using the board. At 95 kg you should look at a board with some width / volume..unless you ride super powered. In onshore, usually you'll be looking for a fish type board (there are many modern fish shapes that will do well in the sloppier waves).

But again say a little more about the waves / wind conditions you ride in...and how powered you ride...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:20 pm

I would just go for your first choice - the Wam 6.0 2011 - without thinking too much about anything, but getting out as soon as possible and enjoy the waves :D

It works really well according to everyone (and me), and is quite floaty/big for its size, so you can use it unstrapped very well too (or strapped - whatever you will end up with).

I have ridden the 5.10 as a good size, but am only 75kg.

It will most likely not be possible for you to determine what you want anyway - what you seem to be fully aware of.

So the Wam will work great, and you can even choose between thruster or quad fins, to change the way it feels.

Just to make things easier :naughty:
If you had written any other board on top, that was well-known in terms of size and feel, I would also recommend it as your first board.

I dont ride these boards myself (got custom waveboards from Ralf Bachschuster) - but usually always borrow and test both North and Wainman (and a few others) a lot, when the new waveboards arrive 8)

:-) Peter

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 am

save yourself some money and check out this link.
http://www.surftech.com/kiteHome.php?%2 ... eRecom.swf

I've used/own 2 of those on that list and they will outperform and possibly outlast most, if not all of those directionals from the kite companies. I've also seen some on that list as well as other good shapes on sale for 299 at RealKiteboarding(that's what I paid for mine, straps might be more) A fish is a good board to start with and can be ridden in light wind. Good luck :D

yehonatan_naim
Rare Poster

Postby yehonatan_naim » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 am

HI ,

I would go for the crazyfly Thunder 6'2", with out any hesitations form the following reasons:

First the ridding ability of this board, I can tell you that from feedbacks that i got from other surfers which many of them was wave surfers before they start kiting, they all say that:
1. this board have greay feel on the wave,the board doing great cuts, and it ride fast and stable.
2. all of them said that this board have exactlly the right weight which make this board stable and not jumping at the nose.

from constraction point of view this board is very strong and bulit from high density EPS and have wood reinforcement on the deck.
as well this board has one big EVA pad which will make it more easy to you to stand on the board in any position.

from size point of view this board is 188X48, and you need big board.

Yehonatan Naim
and its sexy ;)

Vigovsky
Rare Poster

Postby Vigovsky » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Thank you very much for your answers and opinions. I've just come back from Vietnnam/Mui ne, where I had a chance to test crazy fly thunder 6'2. It's a really nice board but I'm planning to order north wam 6'0 really want to try both quad and thruster setups.

henke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken, Läjet, Björkäng, Trönningenäs
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor and Rise

Postby henke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 pm

hi,
I'm also looking for a kite surf board but wondering if it's possible to use the same board for normal surf?
One of my choices are the CF Thunder 6.2 2013. One thing I miss on that board is the possibility to select between thruster and quad setup.

Anyone that have tried thunder in normal surf (no kite)?

I'm a newbie for both using a surf board for kitesurfing and normal surf. When it comes to TT I have been kiting for 7 years.

thanks!
henrik

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:I would just go for your first choice - the Wam 6.0 2011 - without thinking too much about anything, but getting out as soon as possible and enjoy the waves :D

It works really well according to everyone (and me), and is quite floaty/big for its size, so you can use it unstrapped very well too (or strapped - whatever you will end up with).

I have ridden the 5.10 as a good size, but am only 75kg.

It will most likely not be possible for you to determine what you want anyway - what you seem to be fully aware of.

So the Wam will work great, and you can even choose between thruster or quad fins, to change the way it feels.

Just to make things easier :naughty:
If you had written any other board on top, that was well-known in terms of size and feel, I would also recommend it as your first board.

I dont ride these boards myself (got custom waveboards from Ralf Bachschuster) - but usually always borrow and test both North and Wainman (and a few others) a lot, when the new waveboards arrive 8)

:-) Peter
Peter are Bachschuste good,ive seen Ralf waveriding snap shot class,TONY

kitenake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pismo
Favorite Beaches: portugal spain australia
Style: WAKE
Gear: slingy fuels

Postby kitenake » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:08 pm

http://vimeo.com/47374140

Loyd boards are surfboards that we have tested both surfing and kiting. you can get inserts if you want custom paint shape and glass.

flying pig, rippa, and the pearl are all amazing surf and kiteboards. not to mention you can hang them on your wall they are so beautiful !!! :D :D :D :D

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 am

Check out Firewiresurfboards.com They got kitesurfboards that are sweet. I ride the Hellfire 5'6" but I'm 135/140lbs maybe. They have lots of options and good descriptions of what each board is great for. The moderators of their forum tend to recommend the Dominator for the bigger guys, but you need to consider where you will be riding like many have suggested. They have fins that cant 7 degrees each way in a turn which is super nice for pumping for more speed. The double concave shapes feel great through the sloppier waters too!

Return to “Kitesurfing”