Shinn Monk vs. Wainman Joke

Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Shinn Monk vs. Wainman Joke

Postby ed257 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 pm

I am looking for an all-around twin-tip that goes upwind well, pops well, soft landings, is kind to my old knees and does not spray (much). I realize that some of these objectives are contrary, so I am looking for a balanced performance that hits them all well - but is not the best at any one aspect.

My weight is 190 lbs and based on reviews have it narrowed down to the Shinn Monk and the Wainman Joke.

I am thinking that these would be the sizes I would probably get:

Waiman Joke 138 x 41.5

Shinn Monk 132 x 41 or 135 x 42

I have an OR Mako 140 that I ride when its really nuking, wavy or super choppy. It rides like a smaller board due to rocker and concave.

I would appreciate any constructive input on these boards from riders who own or have ridden them.

Thx,

Ed

MMac22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shinn Monk vs. Wainman Joke

Postby MMac22 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:56 am

Haven't ridden the Joke but it would be hard to find a better board than the Shinn Monk for what you describe. The Monk is super smooth and controlled in chop. It has great pop and also carves well. I don't think you can ask for more from an all-around twin-tip. At 190, go for the 135 x 42.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:09 am

I have rode both boards and I can honestly say that you can't go wrong with either one. The Joke probably is a little softer of a board to ride though. Meaning it would be a bit better on your knees.

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitenaked » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:28 am

Two favorites boards.

Original Monk 132x41 and Joke 134x40.5

Pads on Monk are nicer.

Both great in chop, fun to carve on, good upwind.

Give me a shout if you want to talk about em.

Chris

shermanposse@gmail.com

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 am

They are pretty radically different in design..
As I understand the Joke uses it's V to cut through the water, whereas the Monk uses softer tips and concave to cut through..

I have a lot of experience with the Shinn range and they all now share the Monk DNA - all use very similar rockers, many the same deck mould and differ in stiffness and outline. That said you'd be surprised how much difference it makes.

Monk is the board that holds the hardest edge/tightest carve/most poise in nasty conditions and highest speed, but as far as comfort and spray goes they are all very easy and not that dissimilar.

I'd say also look at the
- Street - just released - has more mid range drive if you are not wanting to pour loads of power into it, is also huge in pop and very good for freestyle, extra stiffness will be favoured by heavier riders (85kg - 187lbs +)
- Dundee - again just released - is the most tactile (lots of feedback) and I find a very easy, diverse and probably the most comfortable of all the twins to ride, though lacks in pop compared to the above.. (my personal favourite)
- Gintronic - new version coming soon (same shape) which has the softest feel and same low end drive as the Street, but more comfort..

The Monk is still the board I would say never lets you feel like you have put enough effort in. No matter how much power you try and pour in it the thing never explodes; it may crab for a few meters at 40 mph, but it just never bucks you off.. You can ride like a hooligan and it just laughs in your face...

The other really noticeable thing about the Shinn boards in general is how even they are in foot loading (back foot gets as much weight as the front) so your knees don't burn out. They also seem to soak up the chop spikes and NOT throw water in your eye. I struggle to ride other twins for more than 30 mins, especially the ones that make my back leg burn. I tend to take 2x the load for twice the time and riding feels a lot less like a fight!

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 am

They are pretty radically different in design..
As I understand the Joke uses it's V to cut through the water, whereas the Monk uses softer tips and concave to cut through..

I have a lot of experience with the Shinn range and they all now share the Monk DNA - all use very similar rockers, many the same deck mould and differ in stiffness and outline. That said you'd be surprised how much difference it makes.

Monk is the board that holds the hardest edge/tightest carve/most poise in nasty conditions and highest speed, but as far as comfort and spray goes they are all very easy and not that dissimilar.

I'd say also look at the
- Street - just released - has more mid range drive if you are not wanting to pour loads of power into it, is also huge in pop and very good for freestyle, extra stiffness will be favoured by heavier riders (85kg - 187lbs +)
- Dundee - again just released - is the most tactile (lots of feedback) and I find a very easy, diverse and probably the most comfortable of all the twins to ride, though lacks in pop compared to the above.. (my personal favourite)
- Gintronic - new version coming soon (same shape) which has the softest feel and same low end drive as the Street, but more comfort..

The Monk is still the board I would say never lets you feel like you have put enough effort in. No matter how much power you try and pour in it the thing never explodes; it may crab for a few meters at 40 mph, but it just never bucks you off.. You can ride like a hooligan and it just laughs in your face...

The other really noticeable thing about the Shinn boards in general is how even they are in foot loading (back foot gets as much weight as the front) so your knees don't burn out. They also seem to soak up the chop spikes and NOT throw water in your eye. I struggle to ride other twins for more than 30 mins, especially the ones that make my back leg burn. I tend to take 2x the load for twice the time and riding feels a lot less like a fight!

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:55 am

I ended up getting the Monk and am very happy with it. It is a fantastic all-around board.

I did not have an opportunity to try the Joke.

Ed

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:50 am

I owned the Monk 132X41 and loved it...a lot.
But I thought I could really use the extra little bit of planing area the 135X42 Monk would offer at my 180 pound weight and the conditions we have here, the 132X41 needed some wind to go upwind, and I struggled in the lulls.
I was going to wait for the Monk Forever that addresses the original Monks lack of real early planing, but I'm not a patient kiter.
So I bought the Wainman Joke 138X41.5 and I like it better, most fun board I've ever been on ..just love it.
But I think both boards are among the very best boards out there.
Chris at Kite Naked hooked me up with both my Shinn boards and has sold Shinn boards to several of my friends, he suggested I try the Joke and has been helpful, informative and an all around great dealer.
As long as I'm plugging Kite Naked, he is your dealer for Wainman and Shinn and I believe he might be offering another great kite brand soon.
Chris opened a brick and mortar shop fairly recently in Benicia California, (near Sherman Island) called Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports.
www.kitenaked.com

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:32 pm

ed257 wrote:I ended up getting the Monk and am very happy with it. It is a fantastic all-around board.

I did not have an opportunity to try the Joke.

Ed
Which size did you get? Struggling with whether the 132x41 will have enough low end at 180lbs.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Tony wrote:Struggling with whether the 132x41 will have enough low end at 180lbs.
Was not enough for me at 180 lbs. Struggled in the lulls. 135X42 would have been better.
The new Monk Forever addresses this issue and planes earlier.
My last post too long?

Return to “Kitesurfing”