Style: Freestyle
Gear: 16M Naish Aero 2 , 5'8" Naish TT Directional Skypirate
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to Kite Flying, Have a problem?

Postby redhatlx09 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:17 am

Hello,

I am new to kite surfing and since i don't have the money required for lessons, I am learning with a 5.5 M Foil Kite.

Everything seems to be going good so far, the only real issue I have is that i am not able to keep the kite at the 12 o clock position, (zenith) it always seems to fly over my head and then it stalls out.

I was wondering if the brake lines (connected to the safety wrist strap) are too short? They don't have any tension on them at all unless i let go of the bar.

I practice in a large field in Miami. I tend to launch the kite with a buddy at the edge of the wind window but sometimes the wind is not powerful enough and i simply hot launch it. It does pull me around and I am able to do figure 8's in the sky to generate power, i even practice skimming the kite along the ground (1-2 feet above it) then launching it back into the air. The biggest problem i have is the one i mentioned above.

Thx in advance

Konrad

jamasterj
Rare Poster

Re: New to Kite Flying, Have a problem?

Postby jamasterj » Sat May 05, 2012 2:00 am

first what kite is it you are flying thats supper important here?

if it is a four line foil the back lines usuly need some tention if you ajust be carfull on post adjustment flying (low wind speed) , also precision of adjustments a inch or two difrince on each side can make a big difrence you dont want the kite spinning out of control.

so everyone here is going to tell you to get lessons. lessons are great if you can do them, but I never did and I have done stupid junk but am not dead. so be smart. i live whre there are no instructers so i do my best. if you can't aford lessons find some locals who have expirince ask them questions get their wisdom. as much as lesons are great we sould all help those who love the sport they can't aford.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat May 05, 2012 2:54 am

ahort back lines will cause a back stall not an overfly. the back lines might be too long?

first up. tell us the kite you have. also find a place with clean wind. it could be you are in a crappy location with bad wind.

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Sat May 05, 2012 3:13 am

5.5 is huge for a beginners land kite
yes try shortening the rear lines by moving them back on a set of knots on the handles
if that works, great , if not , you are in a gusty place, look for a bigger lot or maybe a waterfront feild with onshore wind

and GET A MOUNTAIN-BOARD!

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat May 05, 2012 4:54 am

Back lines too long.
N

redhatlx09
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami Beach, Virginia Key, Crandon park
Favorite Beaches: Virginia Key
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 16M Naish Aero 2 , 5'8" Naish TT Directional Skypirate

Postby redhatlx09 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:23 am

Ok guys correction on the first post the back lines are in fact TOO LONG. If the kite is in zenith the back lines have no tension whatsoever.

The kite is a 5.5 M ram air flex foil bullet.

http://www.xtrememotions.ca/store/catal ... p-155.html

That is the kite

I think its because i am 200 lbs that the 5.5 is decent for me. My GF (104 lbs) and roomate (125) got tossed around to the point they dont want to do it anymore.

But yes it is causing an overfly and i was wondering if the back lines were a bit too long.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Sat May 05, 2012 3:29 pm

I know exactly how to fix your problem,

download the latest RPM, make sure you $ sed -e '/long back lines and pulling too much on the bar/shorten back lines\, push out on bar and be aggressive to keep kite moving/'s

;-)

good luck!

If you want to learn to kite in PR, give a hollar!

Return to “Kitesurfing”