Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
TonyL
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot Rally

Postby TonyL » Sun May 13, 2012 1:48 am

Anyone have any feedback on the 2012? Concern I have is the comments that the kite loses it's shape when powered up a bit. I had a Rev back in the day and the kite taco'ed on me when ever was lit. I am looking for a new 12 M tube. Looking at North (Rebel, Fuse, Evo) or Slingshot Rally. Want a big boosting, lots of depower, fun in the waves kite. I ride switches and they boost big and sick range (very stable). Looking for something different that is also better in the waves.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 am

TonyL wrote:Anyone have any feedback on the 2012? Concern I have is the comments that the kite loses it's shape when powered up a bit. I had a Rev back in the day and the kite taco'ed on me when ever was lit. I am looking for a new 12 M tube. Looking at North (Rebel, Fuse, Evo) or Slingshot Rally. Want a big boosting, lots of depower, fun in the waves kite. I ride switches and they boost big and sick range (very stable). Looking for something different that is also better in the waves.
I have 2012s in 10M and 14M.
Love them.
180lbs, no issues. I pump them to 9-11 psi.

mrgole
Rare Poster

Postby mrgole » Sun May 13, 2012 9:34 am

Any news, pictures about 2013 RALLY ?? :jump:

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Sun May 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. Have you had them in the upper ranges of wind? I weigh 195 and some of the posts talk about the heavier riders having issues in the upper wind ranges.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon May 14, 2012 9:19 pm

TonyL wrote:Thanks for the reply. Have you had them in the upper ranges of wind? I weigh 195 and some of the posts talk about the heavier riders having issues in the upper wind ranges.
On my 10M and 14M 2011 Rallys (not the smaller sizes), when I was at the high end of the kite and I really leaned into them (water start, bad crash where I didn't let go of the bar, basically, kite flying through the power zone fully loaded up) I would see a momentary wingtip buckle right where one of the bridle lines attaches to the LE tips. It was instantenous, it wouldn't affect flight, and it would only happen once, but I didn't like it. They said it was fixed in 2012...

I bought the 2012s and have not seen this problem. I honestly don't know if they really changed the design or I just pump the kites harder now.

I don't think this is a problematic issue for heavier riders. However, if you were 200 lbs, I'd say that's a clear point where the Turbine should be your large kite and then you drop to a 12/14 Rally for your middle kite, and a 9 for your high wind kite.

Looks like you're in FL. Connect with Neil H. from SS. He's the East Coast SS rep and could probably point you to a demo kite nearby.

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Mon May 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Captain-

Thanks again. I have met Neil in the past - great guy. I also met Alex's dad at East Beach this past weekend. Alex rides for Slingshot. His dad has the 2011 12M Rally and really likes it. He said I can ride his next time I run into him. I will hopefully ride his and/or reach out to Neil. Have a great week -

Tony

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri May 25, 2012 2:17 pm

9-11 psi? Do the Rally have to be pumped so hard? I own 3 Core kites and the manifacturer wrote 6-7 max.

GrodanBoll
Medium Poster

Postby GrodanBoll » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:36 am

Return to “Reviews”