Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning Directional, straps or strapless

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Learning Directional, straps or strapless

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:08 am

So I got an RRD Domingo because riding a Spleene on low wind days just wasn't that exciting and the surfboard videos make it look super fun. I actually have not gotten a good day of wind here in Tennessee (surprise) yet to try it out. To prepare, I have been riding the board getting pulled from my Seadoo. (Don't laugh too hard, us rednecks have to practice somehow) I have been riding the board strapless and so far its pretty cool.

My concern now is that once I get good winds, my twin tip and wakeboard habbits will not work out so well while flying the kite. I think the disciplined answer is to suck it up and learn strapless since that is the goal, however I fear alot of dragging back to the board in my future. I have almost ordered straps several times, but it seems like a crutch I don't want to get used to. I welcome all opinions. Let the heckling begin.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Learning Directional, straps or strapless

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 am

Don't worry, do whatever. It is the only thing that works. ;-)

If you already know how to ride the board strapless, and that is your goal, then go strapless.Point is that people do learn differently. The only place where there is a one is better than another is in some people's heads.

I've been riding strapless mostly lately, but not really because it is neutrally better to ride that way. It just depends on the usage area.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:35 am

Riding strapless teaches you the 2 most important things to learn about riding a surfboard

1. where the center of pressure is and how to balance around it (or shift it...) - this unlocks the mysteries of jibes etc.
2. how to use the full length of the rail to carve good turns (and go upwind with less pounding) - when you eventually graduate from KY to hossegor, hookipa, cloudbreak or teahupoo, your style will be more legit if you aren't doing a wheelie! ( ;) ok dream a little)

you will fall and lose the board whether you have straps or not, but you will learn more faster without the straps. The main thing straps help with is jumping over waves that would otherwise break on you. This will not be a problem on a lake. So pick up the straps when you head down to SPI or over to the OBX!
Just an opinion 8)

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby average rider » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 am

I found riding strapless makes you learn so much more in terms of board and kite control that you should find your riding improved when you go back to TT.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:06 am

Getting up on the board in deep water was the first thing that made me want straps, but I have figured out how to take up a good 45 degree angle from the pull with both feet on the board. If I can do that from a boat pulling me straight ahead, it should be easier with some vertical pull from the kite.

Good therapy. Thanks. I am surprised nobody recommended straps.

By the way, I don't just kite in TN at the lake, but I have to do what I can here to get ready for the occasional trips to the coast.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:58 am

Agree - when you aim for strapless only, no doubt at all - start strapless :thumb:

We (my friends around here and I) recommend all NEW to surfboards and directionals, to start strapless.

Because it is a must, in order to learn to balance and "feel" the board and learn to use the edges and pressure :naughty:

It is also way easier to learn to jibe and tack, strapless :wink:

Later, when they have got it reasonably right, they can advance to strapped if they want, or continue strapless if that is preferred 8)

In the case of experienced small board directional surfers (surfing or wave windsurfing), it does not matter if starting strapped or strapless - as they have full knowledge of how to utilize a board correct, and just need to get their individual board(s) dialed in.

So starting with the style they believe will be "their" dominant style (strapped OR strapless), is perfect then.

Most ride strapped around here, because of conditions, and because many find it gives more freedom and options (more powerful tail slides f.ex and generally more speed/power and air tricks).

Others choose strapless because they want more challenge as even simple things becomes more difficult (360's), and some also choose it because they feel more free without straps. Cool.
But then some does it, only because of all the "fuzz" some talks about (which is a shame...) :(

So both "camps" say they do it because of more "freedom":

Strapless because they feel locked with straps physically on their feet, limiting their foot stance.
Strapped because they feel locked strapless physically as it is limiting their board movement/action/speed - freedom.

The ex/or surfers and ex/or windsurfers start with what they believe in, no matter what it is.
Those not used to directionals, sometimes start strapped thinking (wrongly) that it is easier - and because they see most are using straps.

This is really bad - as they get no feel for the board, thus they ride with very bad technique - AND they got absolutely no clue where straps should be put, in order to work perfectly and free :o
So they are just hanging on to their board through the straps and use them as crutches as you called it - REALLY bad start :x

Where it should be an elongation of the board - where the straps are positioned just right so you can stand fully free and right anytime - AND then use the extra dimension they give you for airs and slides and speed :naughty:

The latter will never happen if you dont learn to ride strapless first IMO (or have YEARS of hardcore experience, which can do the same)

Both styles ROCK :rollgrin:

Some do both - according to what they feel for and/or conditions, but most have one they prefer over the other, and then again many choose one OR another style.

:D Peter

reinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: CF, TK, OR, FS, o`neill

Postby reinis » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:23 am

yeah, start strapless and once you feel comfortable you can move to straps or stay unstrapped.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 am

STRAPS

Learning Windsurfing is with straps....everybody does it ...and learn to jibe...so why wimp out?

Learning Kitesurfing on race boards is with straps and everyone learns it pretty easily..and love it

Don't make them tight and narrow..so you can move / twist your feet around on your directional

Forget about what you know about snug TT straps.....make the board "feel" strapless but w/straps

You get more traction and leverage..can hold on easier to bigger kite and gives you a familiar feel

You always know where to have your feet on the board...no guessing..one less thing to think about

Just use both straps to waterstart....then take back foot once you plane...always use the front strap

Put back foot in only if you feel the need to jump....because you will...or if you need 100% traction

..................................... :surf: ...................................................................................................................

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:11 pm

NO STRAPS

There is no reason to put the straps on.

we aren't learning windsurfing

we aren't talking about a 2000 dolar race board

you don't get more traction, if your board is properly waxed or has a good deck pad on it you can keep your feet closer to the rail allowing you to dig in against the kite. No reason to be on a bigger kite then neccesary so no advantage there.

You always know where your feet are on the board? You will know where your feet are because of how the board is performing.

I have no idea what the single front strap is supposed to do. IMO it would hinder any progression to go strapless.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Wow, those are alot of great responses. I really appreciate it.

I guess my next question (which might be better for another posting) is what is the best technique or time to transition to goofy foot? With my feet providing all the thrust for the board, I have had real difficulty switching feet. My assumption is while the kite is high in the turn, and before the board looses plane. Is that the obvious answer, or is there another way to switch forward foot without loosing the board?

I may not have to ride goofy too much. The board can pull really hard toe side, so I might not be changing foot position that often.

Return to “Kitesurfing”