Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to live, kite and party Centra/South America Nov-Mar?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
smokedvw
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to live, kite and party Centra/South America Nov-Mar?

Postby smokedvw » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm looking to move somewhere in Central or South America from Nov - March. It could be split between 2-4 places depending on the travel distances.

I have seen lots of really cool locations in the Caribbean but they all seem to be geared towards 1 week vacationers. I want to find somewhere to live, party and kitesurf.

I spent my summer in Portugal outside Lisbon kitesurfing and though it was fun the main drawback was you needed a car for everything and there was no partying in the area near the beach. Since we lived near the beach if you wanted to do anything but kite you had to drive.

The partying is a big part of what I was missing in this summer. Though I would take weekend trips to go off and party I would really like to have an area which is visited by backpackers or international people so there is always a party going on. I traveled South East Asia for 5 months and if there is a place like Kuta, in Bali for surfers but for kiteboarders somewhere in Central/South America that sounds awesome. You can drive a scooter to the spot, party the nights away and do it all over again. Or Koh Tao but instead of for diving for kiting.

I know Utila is supposed to be great for backpackers and divers but I dont know about kitesurfing there?

My main requirements are:
- 3~4 days a week to be able to kite with 15+ knots
- Flat water over waves
- Cheapish accommodation and living expenses / access to the internet for work
- Influx of international people (backpackers would be perfect)
- Party / Beach vibe location ... a place where it doesnt matter the night there is always something to do

Idea of party places: Koh Phi Phi, Kuta Bali, Lagos... places where there is always awesome parties and international crowds.

Please let me know your thoughts as I am very interested in peoples opinions.

Thanks in advance :D
Last edited by smokedvw on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Where to live, kite and party Centra/South America Nov-M

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:45 pm

somewhere NE Brazil! Jericoacoa, Cumbuco, etc...

Wind until February more or less. If dry, almost every day! February has carnival!

www.splocs.com

smokedvw
Rare Poster

Postby smokedvw » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Toby wrote:somewhere NE Brazil! Jericoacoa, Cumbuco, etc...

Wind until February more or less. If dry, almost every day! February has carnival!

www.splocs.com
Ill be down there for Carnival :)

Maybe I should note I know no Portuguese but know some Spanish and want to learn more Spanish but its not a requirement for where to live.

susanmg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC/NJ

Postby susanmg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Maybe Honduras (although I've heard mixed things about the wind). Costa Rica is windy in that time but the kiting and the partying are in different parts of the country. Columbia and Venezuela are the parts of South America that are windy at that time - Venezuela you could split time between Margarita, Coche, maybe a trip to Los Roques (more expensive but looks amazing), and even out to Adicora. I don't know the spots in Columbia as well (and it has a smaller kiting community), but it may be cheaper than Venezuela.

But, what you are describing sounds a lot like the Philippines so you may want to reconsider Central/South America. Boracay is pretty cheap to live, has a big kiting community, is definitely kite-able 3-4 days a week, and has a big party scene.

smokedvw
Rare Poster

Postby smokedvw » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Boracy was my original intentions but after talking with some friends who went there (maybe out of season?) backpacking and reading some blogs online it sounded like there wasnt much going on for partying there.

Have you been there personally?

I would consider living in Boracy for the winter, then going to South/Central after just to backpack but my preference was to try Central/South America.

I read you can kite in Utila but have found little information on kiting there and in Honduras.

Venezula, Isla Margarita and Coche do sound good but Coche sounds like theres not much happening for night life. The crime also sounds a little rampart there.

mnd12
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Nobile twin-tip, Slingshot surfboard

Postby mnd12 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:04 am

Have you considered Cabarete, Dominican Republic? It has pretty much everything from your list. Cheap living, accomodation ... great kiting, especially if you like waves, ... good night life, ... and you can continue improving your spanish.

Cal33
Rare Poster

Postby Cal33 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:56 am

Cartegena, Colombia

susanmg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC/NJ

Postby susanmg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Yup, I spent about 6 weeks on Boracay two winters ago. I don't know what you have read, but there are always parties there. White Beach is lined with bars and clubs, there are often special parties hosted by random things (including FM while I was there - the guys were all quite psyched). I don't think you are going to find the same living, kiting, partying anywhere else in Latin America (except Cabarete - thats actually a good call).

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Playa del Carmen Mexico :thumb:

Return to “Travel”