Local Beach: Martha's Vineyard
Gear: BEST Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: BEST KITEBOARDING
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gorilla Racing Bar

Postby BrockDub » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Gorilla Racing Bar
A 4:1 cascading trim system designed for use on racing, freeriding and even surf control bars.
Developed between Brock Callen and Jim Stone of Gorilla Rigging this bar uses SK90 Core on all trim lines combined with a poly cover gives the strongest and most chafe resistant control line available. This will not wear out in a year like most systems.
The combination of a BEST Bar, Gorilla Rigging's line and Brock's testing has come together in this unbelievable control system.

Check it out at http://www.brockcallen.com/gorilla-racing-bar.html

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.
All the best.
Brock

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Gorilla Racing Bar

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 pm

what? are you kidding me?

what happens when you pull your QR? kite goes bye bye?

BrockDub
Rare Poster

Postby BrockDub » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:30 am

In my experience when you are on a starting line with 70 Kites or when you are maching down a course upwards of 40 knots you don't want to be attached to the kite when you deploy quick release.
There is still the option of using the OSR flagging handles on the outside lines.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 am

BrockDub wrote:In my experience when you are on a starting line with 70 Kites or when you are maching down a course upwards of 40 knots you don't want to be attached to the kite when you deploy quick release.
There is still the option of using the OSR flagging handles on the outside lines.
edit
Last edited by Tone on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider

Postby Rbgar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Lighten up Tone, you're coming across as a tweaker twerp :roll:

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil

Postby Al-Kite-A » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:09 pm

BrockDub wrote:In my experience when you are on a starting line with 70 Kites or when you are maching down a course upwards of 40 knots you don't want to be attached to the kite when you deploy quick release.
Wow 40 knots downwind and 70 kiters on the line. Where and when?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:36 pm

in the same place that its fine to just launch your bar and kite at people in a bit of a tangle...

BrockDub
Rare Poster

Postby BrockDub » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:18 am

Mondial Du Vent 2012 we had 70 Kites on the line for the Long Distance Races. Freaking Wild!! Never had anything like it. There were tangles at every mark rounding.
I totally understand that most kiters want the security of the QR with the leash but when I want the kite away from me I want it AWAY from me. We designed the bar to have the 13" (2X that of stock bars) so that you could severely depower your bar without throwing the QR.
We have tested this bar with BEST, Cabrinha and Starkites and the feedback has been extremely positive.
If it's not for you then it's not for you. Ride what you like and what you are comfortable with.
I am really comfortable with the Gorilla Racing Bar. I think it allows me to rig bigger and go faster so that is why I use it and keep working to make it better.
All the best
Brock

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:57 am

BrockDub wrote:Mondial Du Vent 2012 we had 70 Kites on the line for the Long Distance Races. Freaking Wild!! Never had anything like it. There were tangles at every mark rounding.
I totally understand that most kiters want the security of the QR with the leash but when I want the kite away from me I want it AWAY from me. We designed the bar to have the 13" (2X that of stock bars) so that you could severely depower your bar without throwing the QR.
We have tested this bar with BEST, Cabrinha and Starkites and the feedback has been extremely positive.
If it's not for you then it's not for you. Ride what you like and what you are comfortable with.
I am really comfortable with the Gorilla Racing Bar. I think it allows me to rig bigger and go faster so that is why I use it and keep working to make it better.
All the best
Brock
depowering a kite twice as much as it is designed to be depowered is pointless IMO. Totally slack lines, no steering and a VERY unstable kite.

I think this is an ill ventured idea.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Postby ChristoffM » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:10 pm

I like the system. But for most riders I think you should try fit a more normal safety system in somewhere. 95% of the time you want to kite not to fly away.

Tone, have you used a racing board with long fins before? I found that with my kite and raceboard that I have to depower way more than the kite was designed to trim the kite correctly for maximum upwind angle. I have been trying to figure out why and so far I believe it is because:

With the raceboard, the upwind angle is so extreme and the forward speed so fast relative to the wind speed that the relative wind direction is quite different to normal riding. One needs to depower the kite quite a lot to get maximum L/D. But, what I expect is to depower a little bit to get to maximum L/D. Yet what I find is that I need to depower more than I can depower on the beach to get my maximum L/D. The kite is still full of air and the steering lines tight, even though I depower very, very far. I think the fast wind speed from the front of the kite is pulling the kite back into the wind window and not so close to the edge. To get the same AOA with the kite not so close to the edge of the wind window you need to depower more than normal.

What is interesting however, is that a hydrofoil is totally different. I travel at the same upwind angle as the race board, and close to the same speed, but my kite trim is normal, and not nearly as depowered as I need to be on a raceboard to maintain the same upwind angle. My only theory for this is that the hydrofoil has so much less drag, that is is pulling far less and needs less power from the kite. This allows the kite to fly closer to the edge of the wind window (mainly becasue of less induced drag), and still have the same angle of attack to the relative wind direction, even though the relative wind direction is the same as on the race board.

I hope it makes sense to anyone?

Return to “Kitesurfing”