MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 pm

coleman wrote:I am also looking at this same upgrade. I am wanting more speed but i hear that the 60 is much more of a stable platform especially at speed. A friend of mine who owns the 60 v1 says that my 52v1 is "squirrley" by comparison and the 60 is much easier to blast through chop.
It's true, I found the 52 squirrely too compared to the V160, I think it was always over finned.. The smaller 15cm fins (many people put 2 sets of 15's in) seemed to make the board a lot more composed at speed but they do impact on the upwind ability a little. The 60 was the clear choice for those over 75kg, but under that with smaller fins the 52 did well.

The new 54 feels so much faster, and holds a progressive carving edge so much better.

Another thing to consider is the angles of the fins. They are more upright on V3 boards and this makes them feel a lot faster and slippery through the water, but it does make the boards very slightly more technical to ride.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 pm

davesails7 wrote:I disagree with a lot of the statements quoted here.
He's only finding his way into the genre, many have said the same as you.. 4 hours in and just experimenting..
It's pioneering stuff - like the early days of kiteboarding, quite refreshing to see an aspect of the sport that requires some real tenacity!

The sectors really do give a slice of this kind of tech but without the technical ability or discomfort of the pure race boards. Quite a few people have come to them from many other free race designs and fallen for their fun factor, me included :-)

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby coleman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 am

MikeBirt wrote:
He's only finding his way into the genre, many have said the same as you.. 4 hours in and just experimenting..
It's pioneering stuff - like the early days of kiteboarding, quite refreshing to see an aspect of the sport that requires some real tenacity!

The sectors really do give a slice of this kind of tech but without the technical ability or discomfort of the pure race boards. Quite a few people have come to them from many other free race designs and fallen for their fun factor, me included :-)

fun factor is what these boards are all about. hauling ass and jumping scary big. I still havent gotten the balls to throw a full on boost at high speed. only about 50% for me but still going bigger than my twin tip.

i might have to buy a new sector 54. sounds like the ticket

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:32 am

coleman wrote:
MikeBirt wrote:

fun factor is what these boards are all about. hauling ass and jumping scary big. I still havent gotten the balls to throw a full on boost at high speed. only about 50% for me but still going bigger than my twin tip.

i might have to buy a new sector 54. sounds like the ticket

Well I'm starting to really dial into this board now. The other day was out on my VX 10m, on the shinn monk, blowing 20 odd knots and a bit, going big, looping, etc, then the wind dropped right out (bloody winter/spring) down to 11/14 ish. So changed over to the sector 54 was having a ball, few quick rolls, transitions, some jumps with a few down loops etc, but then the wind kicked in again this time about 17/18 ish.

Now instead of changing boards I thought stuff it, lets see what this thing can do. And yeh with a ramp or two from a wave, they do go big enough, and even chucked in a few moderate down loops, with some slow high back and front roll transitions. It does it all really.

But make sure you land facing a lot more downwind that on a TT, bend the knees too and fly ya kite so ya land as soft as possible. The board will produce a lot of speed as you land so land facing down wind, followed by a real heelside kick to stop yourself flying under the kite.

Can't speak more highly of this board. My brother only had a TT, on a 11m rebel, hence when the wind died he went in and packed up (it seemed finished foe the night). 15 minutes later it picked up again! If he had the sector on the beach he would have been able to ride through the lull and back on. The board offers a lot more than just its fun factor in the water. it bridges gaps in a session, that prolongs and give much more water time.

I have used the sector in this fashion I think on last count 13 times in the past 1.5 months. This is 13 sessions I would have packed up after 30 minutes and gone home. The sector allowed a good 3 hours session every time.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:03 am

coleman wrote:sounds like the ticket
In many ways it's like a Mutant in that you can really jump it.. The 60 is still a little on the big side to send and forget about the consequences ;-)

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:10 am

Looking forward to trying one of these at the Scottish Windfest this weekend.... hope I don't like it too much though as they are too big to hide from the long haired dictator :oops:

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:30 am

I'm selling my Sector 54 if anyone in the USA is interested
Please check it on the second hand section or contact me
By email or private message..........

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.45 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Spain
Favorite Beaches: Bimini
Style: Freeride

Postby juaorpo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks Mike, it is the same I have heard in Spain. They are about to arrive.
MikeBirt wrote:We were wrong...
There is mention of MT base and Tuttle in that PDF, but when the order arrived, the code numbers matched, and the carver set had mini tuttle bases not full tuttle - for use in the 54 only...

Currently the only Airush V3 60 tri fin option is;
22 full tuttle up front 5 degree cant (as supplied as stock) 20cm central rear (optional extra) full tuttle at 0 degree cant.

hope that helps.

MikeBirt wrote:
juaorpo wrote:Hi Mike, in spain. Hope we receive them soon here.
If you get stuck.... it's not so far away for a small part..
juaorpo wrote:Regarding carving set, you mean it is delayed or it doesnt exist anymore? From what i remember in airush blog presenting v3, there you can see a carver set for the 60.
Sir, you are right!
according to the pdf, and my packing list today or tomorrow I will have in stock the following;
Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 08.54.42.png
It looks like a complete carver set for the V3 60 in full tuttle, (I stand Corrected) and a separate single rear upright fin to make a more race oriented tri..

so it looks like the v3 60 will have 3 possible options;
- standard - quad race config
- tri race configuration
- carver tri configuration

I'll have full details in the next few days when the delivery arrives. Interesting!

juaorpo wrote:It is not ever coming the carver set i might start looking for windsurfing wave fins....
The Airush fins should be a lot better than windsurf fins (right cant - asymmetric foil and much more twist... lets see what arrives!

Beamrider
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Al Bahia Beach, Abu Dhabi
Gear: Flysurfer Boost V1 9m and 13m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Radical4

Postby Beamrider » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi all,
I devoured this thread, very very informative, and I need your kind and expert advice.

My weight is 58kg (128 lbs) - yes, I'm a light rider - and I only mow the lawn, haven't started jumping yet.

I have recently moved to Dubai and, since light wind rules here, am planning to buy a Sector V3 to use together with either a Lithium 2013 14m or a Kahoona V1 11.5m.

The conditions are usually 8-11 knots, with rare peaks at 14-15.

Would a Sector V3 54 be better for me than a 60? As you can read above, low end is very very important here and I wouldn't like to miss sessions because I bought a smaller board... but at the same time, I don't want to fly away with the wind :P

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Beamrider wrote:Hi all,
I devoured this thread, very very informative, and I need your kind and expert advice.

My weight is 58kg (128 lbs) - yes, I'm a light rider - and I only mow the lawn, haven't started jumping yet.

I have recently moved to Dubai and, since light wind rules here, am planning to buy a Sector V3 to use together with either a Lithium 2013 14m or a Kahoona V1 11.5m.

The conditions are usually 8-11 knots, with rare peaks at 14-15.

Would a Sector V3 54 be better for me than a 60? As you can read above, low end is very very important here and I wouldn't like to miss sessions because I bought a smaller board... but at the same time, I don't want to fly away with the wind :P

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I lived in Dubai, so I understand your situation. I would go for the sector 60. Kiting in Dubai is all about time on the water and you'll get for time with the sector 60. Also no waves in Dubai so the handing difference of the 54 would be neglible. I would recommend a fly surfer speed 3 21m. I didn't want to pay for it, so I bought a north rebel 16m and I sat on the beach A LOT, watching the dude on the speed out kiting on the water. If I ever move back to Dubai, I won't make that mistake again!

Return to “Kitesurfing”