Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: Anyone know of some wetsuit/neoprene "pants"

Postby matthepp » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 pm

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby markchatwin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 am

I wasn't clear in my 1st post about what I was looking for. A couple of the replies were links to "short" pants or "just below the knee" type wetsuits. What I am looking for are long neoprene "pants".

2 links provided to me on this thread, the Fusion pants and the NRS pants were what I was looking for. The former from Canada are 3mm and the latter 2mm. I'd probably opt for the 3mm assuming that the store can ship from Canada to the USA.

To PF and OldNBroken - Here is my reasoning: Yes the combo of a Neoprene long sleeve shirt and a Neoprene long pants seems strange but here in Syracuse, NY it fills a need for me. Yes it is a narrow timeframe but still a window nonetheless. April - Drysuit, May/Early June - 3/2 type suit, Late June/July/August - shorty (which I own), September - 3/2 type suit, October/December - Drysuit. My idea is to trade the cumbersome 3/2 wetsuit with 3/2 separate "easier and quicker to get on" long pants and long shirt. Maybe throw on my shorty over them to keep my core warmer...

I have tried on 3/2 suits from many wetsuit makers and they are all a pain to get on. Too much time required. 4/3's are just about impossible. Friends that own them are always telling me what a pain they are. And if you buy it right you're buying a close fitting wetsuit which is part of why it takes a long time to put on. I can put my drysuit on in half the time as any wetsuit. Many of my friends laugh at me because I'm in my drysuit on what is clearly a 3/2 day. But I boil in my Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro on those days.

I have recently been using my Oneill long sleeve neoprene shirt under my shorty and have been warm on those 3/2 days, save for my legs. I figure with some neoprene pants my legs would be protected. I tried on a pair of long pants while on vacation in a Florida surf shop and remembered how quickly I got them on. I wish I would have bought them but figured I would get home and research them further.

I know that a one piece 3/2 will be warmer than separate pieces but for the few weeks I need them they will certainly be warmer than my shorty and cooler than my drysuit and a heck of a lot easier to get on.

Prior to getting my drysuit I bought three 4/3 wetsuits and ended up returning them all. I just about fainted from exhaustion peeling those babies on. Of the 3 the Promotion was the easiest and best feeling but I finally chose a drysuit and am damn glad I did...

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 am

I must be more used to getting into a wetsuit, I get into my winter 5/3 suit in the parking lot in two minutes flat....but I'm kinda skinny and flexible.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:52 am

Nice answer Mark, that explains and makes sense now :thumb:

I agree 100%, that a "full" wetsuit, if thick, is much more consuming to get in :roll:

Where a drysuit with a front zip is a piece of cake and "speedy" :naughty:

For me (out VERY often all year), getting in/out is also my first and almost most important feature, just after "correct warmth" of course.

This is why I swear to 3/2 with long legs and short sleeves most of the season, as it is pretty warm and still exceptional fast to get in/out of.
Only a shorty with short legs also, is faster - but WAY too cold often, and tough on your knees if cold...

Front zip wetsuits is a no-no for me because of the time and difficulty getting in/out fast and often - eventhough they are even more flexible and sits perfect.
But they take "forever" to handle, compared.

So your dilemma makes perfect sense now, as a long sleeved 3/2 is NOT that fast.
I find it relatively easy though in a 3/2 full suit - but it IS not as easy/fast - quite a difference if you are out maybe many times on one single day :-?

:D Peter

brucejtile
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby brucejtile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:32 am

Here goes Mark ,
Might be what you are looking for.
http://www.underwave.info/index.php?opt ... Itemid=105
Cheers ,
Bruce

gBiehl
Rare Poster

Postby gBiehl » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:35 am

I've got some for sale. What size are you? Originally designed for sailing but would work great for kiting.

http://fullplanesail.com/products.html

-check the wetsuits section.

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:11 pm

NRS, the white water outfitters has neoprene pants with ankle zips too.

Rodeo pants $84
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2201

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:27 pm

ProMotion in Hood River, OR.

Return to “Kitesurfing”