Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Colorado snow (A basin area)

Postby Chickenwing504 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:42 pm

I just starting kitesurfing, but I have family members and a snowboard in Colorado. I was wondering, in the area just west of the divide on the highway that connects Loveland ski area with A basin ski area is a good area. I remember driving last year and seeing a fairly large area to the south of the hwy and one lonely set of tracks in it. Any thoughts/ opinions are appreciated.
Thanks, Rick

catsh16
Rare Poster

Re: Colorado snow (A basin area)

Postby catsh16 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:31 am

Yes & No...
there is kiteable terrain up there. The stuff that is kited the most is the WNW aspect just SE of Loveland ski area(sometimes you can see people kiting up there from the base of loveland ski area)

the very desirable looking terrain to the west of loveland pass is NE facing and very rarely gets good wind for kiting.

If you are new to all this: I would just go to lake dillon... Loveland pass is mediocre spot for kiting (IMHO)

- Kevin

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:09 am

Super sketchy up there and storm related mostly. If you are new to kiting, a great place to get maimed or killed. Dillion Reservoir for sure, get lessons from the local guy there. Anton from Kite Force or something. Good guy. Only good on North wind, a thermal. Never ever kite on stormy west winds that come over the mountains...it needs to be steady thermal north wind blowing down the lake, not stormy. Anton is the man with local knowledge, pay for his local expertise. Theres another good guy out of Boulder as well that knows Loveland Pass for kiting. You need local guidance for sure.

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element

Postby Chickenwing504 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks for the input. I've already contacted Anton about dillon reservoir. Hopefully I can make it out there for the end of the season this year.

Return to “Snow / Land”