Forum for kitesurfers
jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switch nitro v2 8m in waves?

Postby jwoodunlv » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:37 pm

I'm interested in the nitro v2 8m and wanted to get some feedback on it for riding in waves strapless. I know people will probably recommend the element but I also like to ride in flat water with a twin tip when it's super windy so I would like a kite that can do both.

Kiwibayer
Rare Poster

Re: Switch nitro v2 8m in waves?

Postby Kiwibayer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 am

Hello Jwoodunlv,
It depends a bit on your style, wind and waves. The Nitro V2 shines in flat water and on a race board but the smaller sizes are also fun in the waves. The Element turns quite tight and with a pivotal turn. Some love it, but I prefer a more powerful turn especial for my first bottom turn. The Nirto and the Method will give you exactly that. So I don't think you will regret getting the 8.
Enjoy!

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:49 pm

When I do get to kite in waves it's side onshore wind so I have to follow the kite more and I like to turn the kite aggressively when slashing off the top. Does it drift ok?

Kiwibayer
Rare Poster

Postby Kiwibayer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:24 am

If you are in onshore conditions you want a powerful turn. The 8 and 10 will work fine. The drift is good, but the Element drifts better.
I hope this helps.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:00 pm

I just tried a 10m Nitro V2 the other day, and another buddy of mine was on his 12 SB, and I was on the Nitro, He had issues staying upwind, I had no problem @ all, and I'm a bit heavier. I ride the Method 12 and 9, and I really, really enjoy how they perform. But I would've not being able to stay upwind on my 12m Method as I did on this kite, and I was staying upwind no problem with the 10m V2, very powerful, and quick, but not quick enough, the Method is explosive fast, you think of turning and bam is there, it just feels perfect.

It had a great boost, but so does the Method, but the Nitro glides sweet. You kinda drop out of the sky with the Method, Nitro this is a jumping machine.

So, for waves? mmmm, not sure, it felt a bit slow for the surf, surf was low the day I took it out so not sure ow it performs, and it was about 14-16 kts, cross on. Bar Pressure was perfect, where as the Methods is a bit much.

Hope this helps, if you can demo them, I feel the NV2 is more of a freeride booster.

p.s. I hated the Element, its low end sucked (for me), I hated how light the par pressure, I couldn't feel where the kite was, love how it turned, and I've heard is great for unhooking.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:06 am

Can anyone tell me how much of the 8m Nitro V2 power - turns off when you push the bar out ?

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:37 am

You may have to fit a longer depower line, had to do this for my Elements. Found that if I adjusted the cleat to give me enough throw that there was only a couple of inches of depower available. Replaced the depower line with a longer one and problem sorted.

Return to “Kitesurfing”