Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: perfect wave kite

Postby mike dubs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Big Paul, let the kite take your weight at 11 or 1 o'clock, come in on the back of a wave a dismount and grab the board quickly or body drag in with it on the back of a wave.

Pixel, the 6 has the power of a 7, the 8 the power of a 9.5 and from what I've heard the 10 has 12 power and 12 has 14. They aren't wrongly sized just project more area relative to similar sized kites. The sizes I have turn plenty quick enough, you just need to initiate the turn hard. They are designed this way to stop you diving the kite when you're under water in a wave. I see people say they are slow or only for down the line conditions, this makes me laugh as you Wilson, Mulcoy, blakeney, Alldredge all boosting airs and riding in onshore conditions regularly.

Mike

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:35 pm

mike dubs wrote:Wilson, Mulcoy, blakeney, Alldredge all boosting airs and riding in onshore conditions regularly.
Great info man, thanks. I wish I could get a demo here in FL.

Yeah, I've also seen the vids as well.

Tnx again.
Last edited by pixelpedro on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigPaul » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks buddy will give it a try this weekend :-)

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 pm

@pixelpedro
BWS kites turn slow - too slow for North Sea waves - maybe great for Pacific Ocean waves as they drift well - Their surface is bigger than other kites of the 'same' size
Cabrinha Drifter drifts well and is also slow for North Sea waves

The more compact the kite and the more tension in the wingtips the faster the kite will turn and more likely the kite will relaunch easily and faster.
The advantage of a fast turning kite is that you can correct errors and save it from dipping into the sea.
The disadvantage of a fast turning kite is that you can accidentally turn it wrongly, whereas slower turning kites will 'stay in place'.

Quick relaunch is a big benefit. Normally you don't drop the kite into the sea, but every now and then it just happens. Then the faster it relaunches the better.
Please note: when using a twintip in most cases you still have your foots in the footstraps which help for relaunching as you apply pressure on the board.
With a directional wave board the board is long gone on the wave towards the beach, thus requiring to relaunch without the help of the board which is much more difficult. The compacter the kite the better and faster: you don't have much time between 2 waves - especially not on the North Sea during storms (7-8 Bft with 7 to 10 foot waves or more).

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Cool, thanks Peter, that's what I'd heard, but I hear both sides, that's OK, that's too slow, etc... I fly the Method and absolutely love it, the bar pressure is a bit much, but that's my only complaint and perhaps I should just bulk up a bit (lol), which the new method should fix. I'm always open to demoing new gear. but don't know anyone with Noise kites down here.

Tnx for the info.

splatnikGanglion
Very Frequent Poster

Postby splatnikGanglion » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 am

I've got a question, maybe you guys can help because it's hard for me to demo kites.

I'm really getting into strapless riding and stoked on technical tricks and strapless airs. Strangely, I really like the 2007 Waroos but they're getting old (obviously) and don't drift well. I bought a 2011 C4 but after one session don't really like the kite response, that is, stable around the center and requiring a lot of steering input to get the kite to move quick. I've ridden V1 and V2 kahoonas and tended to like the quick pivotal turning because I like to adjust the kite placement quickly.

So, any advice for similar wave style kites? I'm hearing good things about the Reo but it's hard not to be stoked on the BWS noise seeing what Alldredge is doing with them. Does it sound to you like the Reo pivotal turning is good for me?

Hell, maybe I should just look into some used smaller kahoonas...

Thanks for any advice.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:24 am

splatnikGanglion wrote:I've got a question, maybe you guys can help because it's hard for me to demo kites.

I'm really getting into strapless riding and stoked on technical tricks and strapless airs. Strangely, I really like the 2007 Waroos but they're getting old (obviously) and don't drift well. I bought a 2011 C4 but after one session don't really like the kite response, that is, stable around the center and requiring a lot of steering input to get the kite to move quick. I've ridden V1 and V2 kahoonas and tended to like the quick pivotal turning because I like to adjust the kite placement quickly.

So, any advice for similar wave style kites? I'm hearing good things about the Reo but it's hard not to be stoked on the BWS noise seeing what Alldredge is doing with them. Does it sound to you like the Reo pivotal turning is good for me?

Hell, maybe I should just look into some used smaller kahoonas...

Thanks for any advice.
My friend just got the 2012 Ozone Reo 8 and 10, and I must say, damn, those things work great. Light weight , super stable, perfect drift, fast, powerful . I got the Evo's and am a bit jealous . The REO outperforms mine for sure. But they are pure wave kites, jumping seems to be a bit lame. If i had a choice, I buy the REO for wave riding and have the Evo for all around kiting... I guess I keep mine and save for the Reo's :-)

secret agent
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bajada parana, argentina
Favorite Beaches: stinkies
Style: freeride
Gear: everything
Brand Affiliation: BWS

Postby secret agent » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:51 am

cautionkites not one word on caution, really, they been doing wave longer than anyone?
still am on BWS, but what about www.cautionkites.com

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:19 pm

For c4 try 20m lines. Maybe even big bar if you really need it to be twitchy.
My 13m c4 (2011) is quick enough once you initiate turn, but don't be shy initiating turn.
It also has a slight (like 1/2 second) delay from bar input to turn, but once the kite turns it turns like a smaller kite. This can be used to advantage in waves, decide to turn, firm tug on bar, bend knees and set rail during the little delay, kite begins to turn and powers you through turn nicely.
In onshore wind chop use 20m lines, delay is less and kite crosses window faster..
Delay not noticeable in smaller sizes or, I'm told, newer year.
there are some faster turning kites though... old rally, reo, rrd...

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites

Postby Ivel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 am

I recently got to try out a Slingshot Diesel 7m from 2005 in the surf. 20m lines and a pulley bar. I really enjoyed it. Super quick and easy to whip around. I never dropped it as it wasn't mine so I didn't get to try out the reverse launch bridle, but I like the idea of four lines for waves rather than the fifth to relaunch.
Has anybody much experience with the reverse launch bridles?

Does anybody know of a 3 strut C kite currently on the market?
The wingtips on the Diesel could have been a little bigger for a bit faster turning but other than that it was just as good as my Torches and Fuel

I am kind of looking for new kites as my Fuel and Torches are getting rather ragged
Looking for a C-kite for surf/strapless airs Not no "bridled-C" bullshit. I have tried C4, RPM Park etc and cant get the feel.
DO modern Cs exist for waves or have they all become strictly freestyle kites?

Return to “Kitesurfing”