-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer speed 12m vs 15m for low end?

Postby Telekiter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey Guys. Don´t you think it is different which board you ride? I mean, I realy think the Airush Sector V3 60 is an interesting lighwind fun board and for this board (and I´d guess a lot of the directionals and race boards) does realy the Speed 15 give much more low end vs the Speed 12??

I mean you do hear that for a specific wind a 10 LEI would pull the same on a Airush Sector as a 14 LEI using a TT-board.

With the TT boards both normal and Lightwind TT:s I would agree with you that the Sp15 would be much better, depending on rider weight.

/Urban.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Sure the board means differences as well. The wind chart publisher "teabagvic" said the he uses Spleene Door which is supposed to be LW board. I published my board, my weight compared to his and my years of experience with Speed3 12DLX what kind of wind I need to start crusing.

Now I also have Speed3 15DLX which wind range I am still learning. But the point is that 15C temp, 5m/s winds with Flyradical XL I can go and I jump & go up-wind.

So I was wondering that if TBV needs 13kn (6.5m/s) wind for Speed3 15. And wanted to give my input. Naturally all the wind meters are different, my figures are from many different kind of wind meters from sailing club to surfing club to golf club and finally to aviation weather. Surfing club wind meter is in the middle of bay I usually surf. Sailing club and formal national weather service are 1km away from other spot.

But to original poster, it is very hard to tell which one. 15m if you are bit a heavier side as wing loading is smaller when you jump so 15m glides a bit better.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:07 pm

TeabagVic wrote:...
....At his weight, it is almost impossible that the wind is only 10 knots using all that depower. His jump would have been quite higher if he had remove the depower to power and edge more to hold more power....
I maintain the 10 knots estimate.
Have a look at this video; the wind is quite comparable as in mine:

Regarding the apparent depower, I've replied in an earlier comment.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 am

joriws wrote:Sure the board means differences as well. The wind chart publisher "teabagvic" said the he uses Spleene Door which is supposed to be LW board. I published my board, my weight compared to his and my years of experience with Speed3 12DLX what kind of wind I need to start crusing.

Now I also have Speed3 15DLX which wind range I am still learning. But the point is that 15C temp, 5m/s winds with Flyradical XL I can go and I jump & go up-wind.

So I was wondering that if TBV needs 13kn (6.5m/s) wind for Speed3 15.
Here is the video I made about Speed4 10DLX and as power reference you can see my cruise/jumps in 5-7m/s winds with Speed3 15DLX and Flyradical XL. Based on helmetcam and approx size of Speed4 at one point I jump to about 4m height. That is why I find it weird that if TeaBagVic needs 6.5ms to even plane when I as a heavier rider jump to 4m at those conditions.

And the frame capture (2:19) with height sketch:
download/file.php?id=50863&mode=view

TeabagVic
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake
Style: Teabagging
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby TeabagVic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:42 pm

I bet you $500 that if you come to Island View on Vancouver Island (B.C Canada), you wont be able to get out riding on a standard 15m Speed3 with a Spleene door 154 X ??? (cant recall the exact dimension but is is pretty big) under 13kts. (well at 12kts you could be able and maybe stay upwind with a lot of work.) If you weight 200 lbs.)

Handheld windometer + Island View Weather Station which match 99.9% of the time.

I'll check this summer the windspeed at the local lake (Nitinaht Lake) with the windometer. Maybe over there I'll be able to get out at 10 kts because there is less wind on the beach / handheld windometer.

I.E I would go out with the 15m in 25 kts at Island View, but would probably never do it at Nitinaht Lake. Or I could ride cook street in 29kts (weather station) but will never do Island View at 29kts.

I am pretty sure that if I go to your place/spot, ill be riding in "less wind" than Island View. Handheld windometer / your spot weather station.

Why am I taking Island View for reference is because I used to always observe the wind data after sessions from different spots on the island, but found that Island View was the one that was matching the most. Not only with the windometer but with how much depower I use on the strap etc... Cook Street for example (in the picture in the previous post), I was surprise to be able to ride when the station indicated 12kts gust 15kts because usually the station have to read 16kts + in order to get going with large kite and big board. That time when I rode at 29kts gusting 31 kts (Cook Street) well I will never do this at Island View when its says 29kts, unless I want to kill myself.

I'll re observe with the windmeter more often now from different spots.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:22 pm

TeabagVic wrote:I bet you $500 that if you come to Island View on Vancouver Island (B.C Canada), you wont be able to get out riding on a standard 15m Speed3 with a Spleene door 154 X ??? (cant recall the exact dimension but is is pretty big) under 13kts. (well at 12kts you could be able and maybe stay upwind with a lot of work.) If you weight 200 lbs.)....
Are you the new PMU? :lol: Or is the wind in your spot for some mysterious reason limited to the lower 3m of the atmosphere?
Do you know the mariners and oceanographers' standard wind speed is defined as measured at 10 m height, and good windmeters are (should be) calibrated so as to compensate for the wind gradient?
Last edited by alexrider on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:28 am

alexrider wrote:
TeabagVic wrote:I bet you $500 that if you come to Island View on Vancouver Island (B.C Canada), you wont be able to get out riding on a standard 15m Speed3 with a Spleene door 154 X ??? (cant recall the exact dimension but is is pretty big) under 13kts. (well at 12kts you could be able and maybe stay upwind with a lot of work.) If you weight 200 lbs.)....
Are you the new PMU? :lol:
Personally, I'd give him a bit of leeway on that one - seasonally, I go from annoyed to pleasantly surprised with the low end on the 15, on the lake here. And yet, weather station reports similar wind speed :nono:

TeabagVic
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake
Style: Teabagging
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby TeabagVic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:06 am

Are you the knew PMU ??? Lol!!! Mrs I am riding in 10kts wind with a 12m depower strap half way and more depower... If you need a f#%%% picture or video of the handheld windometer and weather station ill give you one. Why the ???? would I be lying ???

For at least 2 years I was obsess with checking back weather station AND handheld windometer prior to launch, in order to have a better idea/knowledge of wind strenght... I kind of gave up on it because different spot gave different reading:

IE: Nitinaht Lake 17kts with handheld windometer on the beach is stronger than Cook Street or Island View. I dont know why, is there more wind in the middle of the lake or higher above? More than likely yes. It can be the opposite at other places...

If you have your windometer before launching and you say it read 10kts, Ill believe you. But believe me that at Island View you wont be able to. When I kiteboarded Varaderro, the local weather station indicated something like 12-16 mph... I had lots of power on the 12m, there was obviously more wind than this, so if I base my wind strenght with this weather station than I can kiteboard in 8kts!!! I should have brought my windometer to compare, and yes it is well calibrated, compared with other people.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 pm

When more power is needed.
The 15m is Sweet... 150lbs
Getting some air and looping it here...
Really fits well between 12m and 21m but feels more like 12m than 21m.
Many of use are getting hooked on 15m.... another just out the door!
Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”