Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: The best wheels for kitesurfing?

Postby Bille » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:34 pm

polarstorm wrote: ...

I have a Sienna, and thats an awesome kitecar and I sleep in it if I need to, my regular kitecar is a civic with 305,000km on it.. ...

I got a Toyota Sienna also ; wish it was the all wheel drive one for off-road, I
drive a lot of dirt. It does ok on gas, but Not for the Canadian prices ; gets about
25m/g if i keep it under 70mph.

Here is my wish-list for a kite-car :
A Honda Civic with a carbon frame that's bin Stretched about 6ft. I'd like it to have
a Pop-top with tent sides that fold out for sleeping, and spray the finish with a plastic
something that looks like dirt. Same size motor, but will need a few more gears.

Bille

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby peterheirman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Smaller wagons/breaks allowing keeping your struts inflated (the kites dry on the way home)
Wagons/breaks consume less as they have a lower height
Make sure you can sit comfortable on the edge of the booth (bottom needs to match the car body) for putting on wetsuit and boots.
Hence a VW Golf is not good. A VW Golf variant neither.
Ford Focus Clipper fits the bill.

flyingdutchman1978
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Catharines
Gear: 2010 9M Waroo
2010 13.5M Kahoona V2

Postby flyingdutchman1978 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm in the great lakes region as well. I have a Honda FiT. Is great on gas and "Fits" all my gear.

You lose the back seats though.

For even better gas mileage, get a diesel vehicle :)

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:09 am

polarstorm wrote:In the market for some wheels.. here is a hodgepodge of questions..

Need to do distance to get to the sweet spots, am in the great lakes region.

If you bought a car with kitesurfing as a factor, what car did you end up buying, and are you happy with it? Would you change anything..

One of my considerations is a regular (not wagon) VW Golf TDI for its stick + fuel economy + hatch feature, whats the maximum size surfboard that I can fit in that without portruding into the front cabin and preventing me from shifting gears? If would seem to me that even with a wagon, you still loose the two rear seats. Are there wagons where you can fit a surfboard inside and not lose rear seating?

Thanks in advance,
Shifting gears in the Golf is no issue. You can place your surfboard on the passenger front seat. A 5.7 fits more than easily and I guess a larger one fits also. I can put my 5.7 into the back of the Audi A6 Wagon so it rests on the rear bench and there is still enough space left and right to sit for two people.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Dirk wrote: Shifting gears in the Golf is no issue. You can place your surfboard on the passenger front seat. A 5.7 fits more than easily and I guess a larger one fits also. I can put my 5.7 into the back of the Audi A6 Wagon so it rests on the rear bench and there is still enough space left and right to sit for two people.
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. So just to clarify on the Golf, I usually travel with kiter friends, so I'd want the passenger seat available. Does anyone how one and can they stow a surfboard (lets say 5'10" max length) in the back even skewed? TDI, regular, not extended wagon.

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi - when I was 15 (we get our licenses early where I grew up) I had a Golf - with the seats folded down, my 6'2" always fitted inside just fine, with the nose slotting between the two front seats and the passenger seat clear....you should have no problems.

Only question mark is that historically the wacky folk in the US always used to insist that their model had a boot (trunk) rather than a hatch. Don't think it existed in any other markets and was pig ugly. Not sure if thats where you're from - if its the US, I assume (hope) that youre now getting access to actual Golfs! If not, then disregard everything I've just said....I have no idea about the non-hatch.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 am

Jono 111 wrote:Hi - when I was 15 (we get our licenses early where I grew up) I had a Golf - with the seats folded down, my 6'2" always fitted inside just fine, with the nose slotting between the two front seats and the passenger seat clear....you should have no problems.

Only question mark is that historically the wacky folk in the US always used to insist that their model had a boot (trunk) rather than a hatch. Don't think it existed in any other markets and was pig ugly. Not sure if thats where you're from - if its the US, I assume (hope) that youre now getting access to actual Golfs! If not, then disregard everything I've just said....I have no idea about the non-hatch.
Thanks, Canada. We are effectively the same market, we only get vehicles that are approved for all 50 states to begin with. The new MK7 is supposed to be lowered and with more more room as well.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:29 am

polarstorm wrote:
Dirk wrote: Shifting gears in the Golf is no issue. You can place your surfboard on the passenger front seat. A 5.7 fits more than easily and I guess a larger one fits also. I can put my 5.7 into the back of the Audi A6 Wagon so it rests on the rear bench and there is still enough space left and right to sit for two people.
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. So just to clarify on the Golf, I usually travel with kiter friends, so I'd want the passenger seat available. Does anyone how one and can they stow a surfboard (lets say 5'10" max length) in the back even skewed? TDI, regular, not extended wagon.
Used to rock a golf, fold down the seats, throw in 2 twin tips, lay down 2 kite bags at the front of the folded down seat. on top of twin tips. shove surfboard into the middle so that it rests on the kites, it's now elevated so it won't bother the shifter or center console. or your arms much, My SB was a 6'2... 5 kites, 3 boards (big surfy, one with boots) and still had room and could see out all windows.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 am

Return to “Kitesurfing”