simon2312
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing South East Asia

Postby simon2312 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 am

Dear KF community,

I am new to this site and also new to this sport. I will spend roughly two months in south Asia from february on and I want to learn kitesurfing there. I'd like to know the best places to learn in Thailand, Kambodia and Vietnam as I will be travelling these countries. Preferrably not super touristy and good weather conditions, best start is Thailand maybe as Im going from there.

This website seems good http://www.kiteboardingasia.com/ but Im not sure which school to go to, or maybe somewhere completely different.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by simon2312 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Re: Kitesurfing South Asia

Postby ChickenTikka » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:44 am

South Asia = India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh

The only good kiting spot amongst those is Sri Lanka. The main season runs may to October. However in February you have the winter season which is apparently ok as well.

India has Goa and you can learn to fly a kite there at Morjim beach. There are one or two locals who will charge you much too much money to fly a trainer kite. The wind isn't usually strong enough to kite properly except for the rare occasion perhaps once or twice in a month.

A better place to learn that time of year is Hua Hin, Thailand just 2.5 hours south west of Bangkok. But this is not "South Asia." Did you mean South East Asia? In that case boracay Phillipines is a good bet. Vietnam is an option as well, although conditions would be difficult for a beginner.

simon2312
Rare Poster

Re: Kitesurfing South East Asia

Postby simon2312 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks Chicken, yea I meant S.E. Asia, edited the title. So basically anything in the Thailand/Vietnam region. I'll have a look for Hua Hin, however more tips are appreciated :)

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Re: Kitesurfing South East Asia

Postby flybykite » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:13 am

Yes, Hua Hin, Thailand is a light wind spot and would be good to lean on. Vietnams Mui Ne beach (currently residing) is typically lighter winds February and March. There are thousands who learn here every year and "yes" its not the best conditions to learn in due to the beach break but its very doable. Check out C2sky kite school there. Many choices for schools but this is a top choice IMO.

Return to “Kitesurfing”