Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cracked Ribs

Postby ChickenTikka » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Ok, looks like I've joined the club finally and cracked my first rib kiteboarding.

Happened after my mystic warrior harness started to come somewhat loose in strong wind. Boosted big off a wave and came down hard doing a loop. Kept kiting after that. But realised it was cracked when I felt it move the next time I crashed.

Hurts not too bad. Vietnamese doctor had no real advice but just gave me some codeine tablets.

How long till the pain goes away? How long should I avoid kiting?

Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen.
Favorite Beaches: Tulum, Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Playa del Carmen, Progreso, Isla Blanca
Style: airstyle, oldschool
Brand Affiliation: http://www.kitesurfvacation.com

Re: Cracked Ribs

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey man, sorry for you. I had the same problem in my Ribs with the Mystic Warrior harness, it was just on the air, I jumped then I try to do a tail grab and the arness squizz my ribs. Really painfull, no kite for 2 months.

Hope you get well!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:Ok, looks like I've joined the club finally and cracked my first rib kiteboarding.

Happened after my mystic warrior harness started to come somewhat loose in strong wind. Boosted big off a wave and came down hard doing a loop. Kept kiting after that. But realised it was cracked when I felt it move the next time I crashed.

Hurts not too bad. Vietnamese doctor had no real advice but just gave me some codeine tablets.

Damn - sorry to hear :x

It can take 3 months - quite normal.

You can start kiting whenever you want - it does not help not to...

"Pain" will decide whether you can kite or not from now - get yourself a low seat harness, then you can start way earlier without any pain, or only subtle pain, and then you stop.

Most of us have been there a couple of times over the years 8)

What you describe is just like it is: A major chrash and some pain, but not that evident.
Afterwards, you will not be able to sleep or turn in your bed or anything - it gets worse and worse for a while the next half day :(

And then it only goes slooooowly forward, and nothing you can do about it - and "abstinence" does not help really, so you can do whatever you want (pain will stop you at some point though), as only time will heal crushed ribs :wink:

:D PF

roux
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Pflugerville
Favorite Beaches: South Padre
Style: All

Postby roux » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Borrow or buy a board short harness. That's what I did and I was able to kite after a few weeks. You probably won't be throwing down, but you can get out there.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:Happened after my mystic warrior harness started to come somewhat loose in strong wind. Boosted big off a wave and came down hard doing a loop.
Was kiteloop intentional...or the result of bad take off..unintentional spin of your body in mid-air
Disorientation..while your back hand was still pulling at bar...the splash...ooouch!!!

If not ...then this is how i once bruised very badly "not cracked" my right ribs...
...took my breath away :D

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:Ok, looks like I've joined the club finally and cracked my first rib kiteboarding.

Probably best if Ya just Quit kiting now. (HA )!!

If you can take the pain without those damn codeine tabs, you will be a Bunch better off.
Pain meds will not work as well after a week or two ; so lots of people start taking More.
Try only taking the codeine just before bed-time and just deal with the hurt during
the day.
It stops hurting as much , after you figure out all the positions that hurt.
You'll be OK in a few weeks, just let it heal Completely before going kiting again.

Tell Ya what i'll do :
i'll go get a session FOR You , while your laid up !!

Bille

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:09 pm

it usually takes a couple of weeks till you can ride with a seat/shorts harness,
can take 6 to 8 weeks to heal completely if you do not injure it again in the meantime,
if you do it can take 5 to 6 months

and you should learn to sneeze with your mouth open for a few weeks :o

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 pm

yeah many people been through it…
Depends what is cracked, bone or cartilage. Bone actually heals faster. Cartilage can take a while.
I had cartilage damage and took 1 month off the water and 2 months for the pain to go away (almost). I have permanent bump and can't wear waist harness for more than 2 hours or in powered conditions.

Hope you heal soon.

Ced

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Did just that with a high wind inadvertent loop on backroll, to yard sale on the ribs, at the end of September. I could ride with a lot of pain with a seat harness a week later but couldn't relaunch the kite with my race board. Wouldn't have tried it but you gotta try when there is only one race a year in your area and you have been practicing all summer. Mostly better after a month but still hurts a bit. It's cold as frack but doable on Lake Michigan now so I could go out... but the rib is a nice excuse for being a wimp.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 pm

I have never heard that you should keep it "in rest" :o

And can only agree with Bille that you should NOT take pain killers (when kiting), as then you will not feel the natural "stop" pain, and you might also be less sensitive to the effect.

But definitely dont agree at all that you should wait till the pain goes away and it is fully okay - utter nonsense IMO, unless you have totally screwed a lot of ribs and no support left, but this is not the case here, not even close :-?

Go out as much as you can with a seat harness, and you will stop by yourself when feeling pain (and do it no matter how much fun you have).

Use painkillers so you can sleep, mostly - but NOT when active.

Most likely you will have so much pain that you can not go out the next weeks - but as soon as you feel more okay and slightly less pain, just go out on the water as much as you can (which will be very little to start with).

You will not heal or get better faster, if you rest it - you will just miss all the fun, and get fat and weak :(

For most other "injuries" - rest IS the only way, and fastest way to heal, but not in this case IMO and experience (and advice from doctors too)

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”