Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kiteboarding in the Caribbean while on a cruise ship?

Forum for kitesurfers
aprok
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kiteboarding in the Caribbean while on a cruise ship?

Postby aprok » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 pm

My friend is going on a Norwegian Cruise that stops at the following points: San Juan, Philipsburg, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, Samana, Dominican Republic. He is not sure if it makes sense to bring his kites with him. Is there kiting that can be easily accessed from those points while the ship is in port. Many thanks in advance.

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Re: kiteboarding in the Caribbean while on a cruise ship?

Postby kitecozumel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:49 pm

He should,he will be sorry if he doesn't , google the places he'll stop on , he may want to pack small upon the size of the cabin he's in the ship.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm

When is he going and is his companion a kiter? In most of those locations it will be necessary to do some traveling to hit kiteable areas. They aren't within walking distance of the docks and tendering areas. He needs to do the research, figure out connections and his companion should be ok spending time away from the normal tourist spots in favor of kite beaches at the stops.

powerkitefan
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby powerkitefan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 pm

It definitely can be done.

Try to find out from the tour EXACTLY where they will let out. Then contact the schools in that area and ask them how it all works there.

I took a cruise and it stopped at Aruba, then I just found someone to take me from the trinklet-ville center to the kite huts and rented gear. After it was over a small boat took me back to where my friends were. Its pretty easy if your friend is somewhat adventurous.

I didnt' bring any of my own gear because I knew that the 1 or 2 days kiting out of 8 on the boat wouldn't make hauling it around worth it. And because I knew I could just rent it at the site.

Return to “Kitesurfing”