Forum for kitesurfers
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Offshore winds in Aruba

Postby airsurfer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:09 pm

I was in Aruba a month ago, 12 days on 9M 2 days on 11m. I go to Aruba several times a year and in 10 years I've been going I've had 3 non kiting days. That's why I love it so much. I ride only on the windward side Boca Gradi and surrounding beaches. The drive sucks but the conditions are much better. The nice thing about Aruba is that wind blows like a clock you don't have to worry about when to go. Fishermans huts wind is OK once you know the gusty zones and if it's not crowded which isn't often offshore winds and big lulls means everyone tries to stay in the same area which doesn't help its always windier and more consistent on the windward side.

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marie Curtis
Favorite Beaches: Coconut Bay St Lucia
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario
Style: Kite as much as I can
Gear: On sale
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pecmajor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm back from 7 day trip to Aruba. It was awesome :rollgrin: True to the bill with predictable 18 to 22 knot trade winds every day. Kiting every day until I got too tired to continue. I did not like The Huts due to the gusts but it seems like a reasonable place to take lessons and learn kite boarding with instructor in rescue boat following you down wind in the off shore conditions. The instructors all say if you learn at the huts you can kite anywhere. We stayed at a great motel 100 meters away from the Huts. My favorite spot was Boca Grande on the windward site of the island. Nice steady side onshore winds, waves and crystal clear waters. 45 minute drive from the main hotel area. You need to rent a car to get there. I went daily. Cars are cheap on Aruba and driving is easy. Boca is isolated so pack a cooler with drinks and lunch. Locals are super friendly and helpful. Let me use cell phone to call rental company when I went kiting with the electric car key in my shorts and car would not start. Extra $120US fee for the key. Will not do that again. I will definitely return to sunny Aruba, one happy island :thumb: .

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm

For the electronic car rental key I put them in one of those water proof bags, or put them in a balloon and tie a knot in the open end.

Return to “Kitesurfing”