FICO90
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Overpowered

Postby FICO90 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Hey,
I am new to this sport and I've recently purchased a North Neo 10m. However I always seem to be super overpowered. I'm not sure if I've set it up wrong or am I doing something wrong?? Anyhow any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers :)

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding

Re: Overpowered

Postby wondamic » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:42 pm

You're probably over powered...If you find your body posture bent at the waist and not straight due to the kite pulling you downwind--you're overpowered. At this point you have two options:

1. Depower the kite by trimming your front lines

2. Come in and pump up a smaller kite

And just out of curiosity:
How much do you weigh? What are the wind condition when you go out? What are you riding?

FICO90
Rare Poster

Postby FICO90 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:54 pm

I did have the kite fully depowered at the time I just felt it was pulling more than it should have been while it was at 12. I had lessons using the same kite and my instructor felt the same and said he would have a look at it for me but because of bad light and that we were freezing he didn't get the opportunity. And due to bad conditions and a hectic schedule I haven't had a chance yet to go back for a second lesson.
I am about 73 kgs. That particular day was around 18kts I think. A friend and I share that North Neo, a 2012 Cabrinha Vector 7m, a F-One Bandit 5 7m, a Naish Haze and Xenon Rayo.

FICO90
Rare Poster

Postby FICO90 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Cool, I'll check the tuning.
Perhaps being overpowered at the beginning will stand to me in the future :)
Thanks

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Here's my safety advice.

If others are on 7s then A) its well over 18 knots and B) you should be on a 7 too.

You should not be kiting over powered when learning. That is the most likely time that you will be injured. Get a wind meter to verify the wind.
Don't go out over 22 knots on a 10m with your weight. Get a smaller kite for higher wind days. your going into winter over there and its going to be windy.

never hold the kite at the zenith on the beach.Thats how you get lofted. Allways park it at the edge of the window. when parked at the edge if its scudding you sidways your over powered.

With the kite parked at the edge you should be easily able to hold it with the bar out. Pull the bar in for a small skudd is just the right amount of power.

if you have to trim the kite instantly because its too powered.... your flying and over powered kite. put up a smaller kiter that you don't need to trim.

oh yes wear a helmet.

Enjoy.

FICO90
Rare Poster

Postby FICO90 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:18 pm

plummet wrote:Here's my safety advice.

If others are on 7s then A) its well over 18 knots and B) you should be on a 7 too.

You should not be kiting over powered when learning. That is the most likely time that you will be injured. Get a wind meter to verify the wind.
Don't go out over 22 knots on a 10m with your weight. Get a smaller kite for higher wind days. your going into winter over there and its going to be windy.

never hold the kite at the zenith on the beach.Thats how you get lofted. Allways park it at the edge of the window. when parked at the edge if its scudding you sidways your over powered.

With the kite parked at the edge you should be easily able to hold it with the bar out. Pull the bar in for a small skudd is just the right amount of power.

if you have to trim the kite instantly because its too powered.... your flying and over powered kite. put up a smaller kiter that you don't need to trim.

oh yes wear a helmet.

Enjoy.

ok cool, thanks for the advice mate :)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50 pm

FICO90 wrote:I did have the kite fully depowered at the time I just felt it was pulling more than it should have been while it was at 12. I had lessons using the same kite and my instructor felt the same and said he would have a look at it for me but because of bad light and that we were freezing he didn't get the opportunity. And due to bad conditions and a hectic schedule I haven't had a chance yet to go back for a second lesson.
I am about 73 kgs. That particular day was around 18kts I think. A friend and I share that North Neo, a 2012 Cabrinha Vector 7m, a F-One Bandit 5 7m, a Naish Haze and Xenon Rayo.
18 knots on a 10 is not unreasonable at all. I am wondering if you feel overpowered because you are not 100% comfortable kiting yet?

Either that or it was more than 18...a kite does not become more powerful by having something wrong with it...

Apart from that the advice plummet gave is good..

just note that some kites will not be controlled very well when depowered, and some kites depower less than others. Still...18 knots.

What kites were other people on?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:56 am

Your not overpowered, your inexperienced.Next year you'll be looking for more power.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:39 pm

pj sofine wrote:Your not overpowered, your inexperienced.Next year you'll be looking for more power.
this. 18 knots is perfect for throwing tricks on a 12 meter, and im 10kg lighter than you.

kites pull hard

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:49 pm

dyyylan wrote:
pj sofine wrote:Your not overpowered, your inexperienced.Next year you'll be looking for more power.
this. 18 knots is perfect for throwing tricks on a 12 meter, and im 10kg lighter than you.

kites pull hard

theres other dudes out on 7's..... do you think it was actually 18 knots? i think not. more like 25

Return to “Kitesurfing”