Ocean Rodeo One-Pump Valves

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo One-Pump Valves

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 am

One of the one-pump valves on the LE bladder of my 2011 OR Rise is leaking - it looks like the adhesive's failed in the heat. My understanding is that trying to re-glue isn't a good idea, so I need a replacement valve (or do I :?: ). OR's valves have a 90 degree bend in them - does anyone know if I can get away with anything other than an OR-specific valve (from OR or Airtime)? It looks like a straight valve would rub on the canopy.

Options are limited here in the sandpit, and I'd like a quick fix so that I can resist the temptation to take a 12m kite out in 9m weather. I guess I could just ditch the one-pump altogether...

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Ocean Rodeo One-Pump Valves

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah the stick-it valves will work, they come with a 90 degree plastic elbow. I'd try using Aquaseal (if you can get it) to reseal the valve if possible, it has worked pretty well for me. Otherwise, when you remove the valve, make sure you just warm it up and peel off, do not cut it out if you can.

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wadoepotatoe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:05 pm

If just the adhesive has come unglued I would use tear-aid. Use a strip of tear-aid and cut a hole in the middle. Now slide the patch over the valve so that it catches the lip of the valve and the bladder. The other option is to heat the old valve off and get a new stick on type valve from kitefix, airtime, fixmykite, etc. Hope this helps,

-wade.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:57 am

Aqua Seal does a good job, for glue it back on option.
They sell it at places that sell wetsuits.
Diving shops, surf shops.
I think 3M also sells a marine adhesive glue---5200 maybe.
If you are going to glue the nipple back on, get yourself a handful of giant steel washers that fit over the center of the nipple and will weight down the rest of the nipple, works perfectly.
Glue it and leave it overnight.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the info, chaps.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Mr_Weetabix wrote:One of the one-pump valves on the LE bladder of my 2011 OR Rise is leaking - it looks like the adhesive's failed in the heat. My understanding is that trying to re-glue isn't a good idea, so I need a replacement valve (or do I :?: ). OR's valves have a 90 degree bend in them - does anyone know if I can get away with anything other than an OR-specific valve (from OR or Airtime)? It looks like a straight valve would rub on the canopy.

Options are limited here in the sandpit, and I'd like a quick fix so that I can resist the temptation to take a 12m kite out in 9m weather. I guess I could just ditch the one-pump altogether...

Return to “Kitesurfing”