Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

forum for kitesurfers


UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Favorite Beaches: Lancing
Gear: Switch Element, RRD Obessession, Slingshot RPM
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby UKSurf » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 pm

Monk is the best board for absorbing chop and impacts in my opinion. Is very good for hooked in jumping with its great board speed, although the original monk did not have great pop but certainly has some. The new monk forever has better pop. Would advise anyone with knees playing them up to check it out, it really is amazing how it absorbs the bumps.

User avatar
Arubakitesurfing
Rare Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:12 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Fishermanshut and Boca Grandi
Favorite Beaches: California Beach for waves
Style: surf style
Gear: Naish Helix and Thorn board,Global surfboard,Aboards x and z series
Brand Affiliation: Naish dealer and school.Aboards dealer and school
Location: Aruba
Contact:

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby Arubakitesurfing » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 am

50fifty is the choice for you...

Séb
Frequent Poster
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Mostly Core kites and Shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby Séb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:27 am

UKSurf wrote:Monk is the best board for absorbing chop and impacts in my opinion. Is very good for hooked in jumping with its great board speed, although the original monk did not have great pop but certainly has some. The new monk forever has better pop. Would advise anyone with knees playing them up to check it out, it really is amazing how it absorbs the bumps.

I just come back from a trip to Cuba, 7/7 with the Monk Forever...what a board!! Simply love it and exactly like you said, ultra smooth for riding with chop or landing hard and generate a lot of speed and I really mean a LOT 8) I have the 134X42 and I'm 192lbs. My best TT board I have ever tried.

I used to had knees pain after most rides but now it is totally gone with this Monk :thumb:

User avatar
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Cape Cod, MA USA

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby ed257 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 am

Kiteus Maximus wrote:It's not the board. It's the technique in landing like Brock said.


It's the whole package:

- technique (both kite and board - landing tail first)
- kite - some kites clearly provide softer slower descents than others
- board - some boards are softer and more forgiving on landings

Since a lot of us are older, have bad knees and less than perfect technique - it makes sense to optimize our equipment.

Ed

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 am

ed257 wrote:Did somebody already say Monk???

I am 56, my knees bother me too - but I still like to boost. I just got a monk. I also have a mako (140) but no longer need it.

The other day I was boosting big (by my standards) all day long on my Epic 10 LTD and my new Monk. I could not believe it, but after kiting all day my knees felt fine. Normally they are sore and achy even the next day or so. I did not take any ibuprofen, aspirin or even glucosamine sulfate.

There really is something magical about the monk. I does everything really well and really comfortably.

Just my opinion.







No you are spot on. I use ozone edges myself now, now that kite gives you the softest landing no matter what crazy heights you achieve. The power delivery through to your knees and ankles is soft and controlled. Combine this with the shinn monk and forget knee problems.

My problem is in the ankles, have had surgery on ankles for bone spurs etc, and there were times I got out of the water and could barely walk and I'm only 40!

But the monk, edge and correct technique have minimised this.

Waiting for my mako king to arrive, let you know how that goes in the ankles.

But yeh I'm no monk pimp, there is nothing in it for me to say how good it is. But it is. Biaxial flex and the continual rocker just work. Just enough pop when you need it. And height equals speed in board and kite. You can ride the monk at stupid speeds. I'm yet to break that boards rail and I've tried trust me.

Crew are talking about the wainmen joke locally to.



But then again apparently us TT riders have stopped evolving and reached the limit of their development! Read 'why directional post', dear god! 13 years at this and still have to read that rubbish. Well true I don't I suppose.
E

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Favorite Beaches: Lancing
Gear: Switch Element, RRD Obessession, Slingshot RPM
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby UKSurf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Séb wrote:I just come back from a trip to Cuba, 7/7 with the Monk Forever...what a board!! Simply love it and exactly like you said, ultra smooth for riding with chop or landing hard and generate a lot of speed and I really mean a LOT 8) I have the 134X42 and I'm 192lbs. My best TT board I have ever tried.

I used to had knees pain after most rides but now it is totally gone with this Monk :thumb:


I toally agree, it is an amazingly comfortable board. I was getting knee pains when riding hard on my previous board - and I have no previous knee problems what so ever. I am sure there are alot of boards out there that are bad for your knees and riding them long term will cause you problems. It is a great board for boosting with its speed and ability to hold an edge in chop. I have a 135 Monk 1 which is also great in waves.

I do not think there is any piece of kitesurfing kit that has as many advocates as the Shinn Monk. I will be interested to try the Monk Forever at some point but will only replace my current board when it either breaks or is lost, I dont want to ride any other TT unless I move to a place that has flat water.

User avatar
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Cape Cod, MA USA

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby ed257 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:48 am

UKSurf wrote:
Séb wrote:I just come back from a trip to Cuba, 7/7 with the Monk Forever...what a board!! Simply love it and exactly like you said, ultra smooth for riding with chop or landing hard and generate a lot of speed and I really mean a LOT 8) I have the 134X42 and I'm 192lbs. My best TT board I have ever tried.

I used to had knees pain after most rides but now it is totally gone with this Monk :thumb:


I toally agree, it is an amazingly comfortable board. I was getting knee pains when riding hard on my previous board - and I have no previous knee problems what so ever. I am sure there are alot of boards out there that are bad for your knees and riding them long term will cause you problems. It is a great board for boosting with its speed and ability to hold an edge in chop. I have a 135 Monk 1 which is also great in waves.

I do not think there is any piece of kitesurfing kit that has as many advocates as the Shinn Monk. I will be interested to try the Monk Forever at some point but will only replace my current board when it either breaks or is lost, I dont want to ride any other TT unless I move to a place that has flat water.


Since most designs are trade-offs, I wonder if the Forever is a bit less forgiving in chop since it is rumored to start earlier, have more pop and go upwind a bit better (maybe flatter)?

Regardless - I am thrilled with my regular Monk 134 x 42 and hope to have it for a long, long time - but maybe not forever...

Ed

User avatar
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 pm
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...
Location: DownUnder/Brazil cumbuco-oceanview.com
Contact:

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby Caesar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:00 am

Arubakitesurfing wrote:50fifty is the choice for you...


Wrong mate...
I sold my Nobile after I got my feet into the Monk.
I'm sure Senhor Shinn would not make a better design for someone else than for his own brand.
Got it? :wink:

Cheers
Caesar 8)

PS: I'm not affiliated but own 3 of the very same Shinn Monks with the Gorilla graphic.

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 32925
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Contact:

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:01 am

how about a bigger kite with more hangtime? Then the board does not matter ;-)

User avatar
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 pm
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...
Location: DownUnder/Brazil cumbuco-oceanview.com
Contact:

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby Caesar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 am

Séb wrote:I used to had knees pain after most rides but now it is totally gone with this Monk :thumb:


Same Same...

Cheers
Caesar 8)


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 22 guests