Brand Affiliation: None.

Flydoor4 - Take advantage of every breath of wind

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Flyboards News:

Flydoor4 - Take advantage of every breath of wind

fbd4 1.jpg
fbd4 2.jpg
fbd4 3.jpg
Everyone has experienced it. You get to the spot and the wind-forecast has been a few knots too optimistic. With a Flydoor in your quiver this means having fun, instead of hanging around on the beach. The unbelievably early planing ability combined with the unexpectedly good handling is what makes the Flydoor4 stand out above the rest. Riding toe-side, jumping, cruising. The Flydoor4 just feels much smaller than it is, however still delivers unmatched upwind performance. Thanks to the centre fin there is no other twintip board, except the FlyRace, that goes upwind better.

Infinite Possibilities

The reputation of the Flydoor boards for having amazing light-wind properties is well known, but the huge wind-range of the boards allows you to have extra kite days even in extremely gusty conditions. Many of the small inland spots and lakes are now properly enjoyable.
Because of this it is not only a great board for beginners, even though there is almost no better board to learn on. From water-start to loaded tricks, it can do everything without being too much of a challenge from it’s rider.

Construction

It’s always a challenge to combine early planing and good agility into one board. To achieve this we had to work on a lot of small details. Key to this is the redesigned 8cm long centre fin that is an important factor for upwind performance. The wood-foam composite core allows for light weight without compromising the durability.

The new laminate layup gives the board more torsional stiffness which works together with the extremely thin flex-tips to give you an optimal combination of great control, comfort and dynamic feel.

Flysurfer Quality

It is self-evident that great riding characteristics alone are not enough. Starting with the Radical4 we moved our production to a factory in Europe that promises the highest quality and precision. Only the highest quality materials are used. For example the most high end top-sheets available. Our tried and tested footpads, G10 fins and our new comfortable and bombproof velcro foot-straps finish off the complete package.

To be extra sure in regards to the durability, we used foot-strap inserts which can withstand up to 400kg of pull each. In our opinion it has to be like this, because Everyday is a kiteday!

http://www.flysurfer.com/produkte/boards/flydoor4/

http://vimeo.com/55091934

clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flydoor4 - Take advantage of every breath of wind

Postby clydesdale » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:57 pm

will it ride fine w/out the center heelside fin or is performance dependent on it?

i ride in shallows alot and that would get clipped off

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm

clydesdale wrote:will it ride fine w/out the center heelside fin or is performance dependent on it?

i ride in shallows alot and that would get clipped off
It will be fine in water down to 10cm deep. The Board is still edged a little bit so you will got some clearance there.

If you want to ride it without the fin you can. It will still work and go upwind, but you will need to edge the board more when going upwind.

--
Gunnar

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:09 am

funny that you actually added a fin as I removed 2 to get a looser feeling and earlier planning (on my really old door). Upwind is still excellent just by edging it - or - my preferred style, riding out of the straps as a strapless board with one foot all the way back on the edge.

I doubt anyone would complain about the upwind ability on a Door, rather the feeling to be on rails.

But may be its time for me to test a new door to sort it all out. G

now as I think about it. My very first handmade board 12 years ago actually had 5 fins just like that. But they were much cooler - handpolished aluminum. Strange how it all comes back.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 am

Rode the last generation Door a fair amount this year. It is amazing how light of wind you can go ride in with a big kite and a large plank style board. I'm glad they're addressing the weed build up on the heelside fin, because it really likes to catch any/all sea grass. I did ride it without the heelside fin too and felt it was just as good.

Anyone have experience riding the Door and Nobile's Flying Carpet? How they compare?

Thanks!

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:41 am

This may just be me, but I have an old Cabrina Vari 148 that has a 6 fin (2 in the center) setup. I have tried it many times with all 6 fins on it, and I find the center fins almost useless. They seem to have no upwind improvement, and only have a negative affect on sliding turns.

My buddy has a Spleene Barn Door 159 that is much like this board (no center fins) which works great. I can get upwind on it somewhere just at or above 7kts. (not measured, just below where the whitecaps appear) It is an awesome utility board that gets the job done.

I imagine that this Flydoor will be equally good as it looks like the same type of board (it must be improved somehow), but I wouldn't put much hope in what that center fin will do for you. Sorry, don't mean to be negative. That has just been what I have experienced with the center heelside fins.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Had the Flydoor2 and now have a 3 (with smaller center fin) and IMHO the center fin definitely aids upwind ability, especially when riding the board flatter as you're milking all the planing you can get.

I cleared the center fin by kicking my heels up into my bum - they'd just fly off.

The 3 is lighter too, and feels springier... but that might just be my imagination :D

Both are XLs and I wish FS would put toe-side fins on them!!! or at least give the option of wood inserts so we can add them if we want...

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:37 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:This may just be me, but I have an old Cabrina Vari 148 that has a 6 fin (2 in the center) setup. I have tried it many times with all 6 fins on it, and I find the center fins almost useless. They seem to have no upwind improvement, and only have a negative affect on sliding turns.

My buddy has a Spleene Barn Door 159 that is much like this board (no center fins) which works great. I can get upwind on it somewhere just at or above 7kts. (not measured, just below where the whitecaps appear) It is an awesome utility board that gets the job done.

I imagine that this Flydoor will be equally good as it looks like the same type of board (it must be improved somehow), but I wouldn't put much hope in what that center fin will do for you. Sorry, don't mean to be negative. That has just been what I have experienced with the center heelside fins.
Do you think we would put all the extra work into the Center Fin concept if it has no value?

We do a lot of side by side testing and the center fin makes a huge difference upwind and also in comfort when riding.

The Flydoor 4 destroys the Flydoor 3 Upwind in all conditions. The new Fin makes a huge difference. You will notice it instantly when you take it out. You have to edge harder and expend more energy trying to go upwind. With the Fin in it's way easier.

You need to test it. It's not about only getting upwind, it's about doing it fast and comfortably.

--
Gunnar

bobber
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I kite at Wildcat in Portland, TX
Style: intermediate
Gear: Core, Ozone, Crazyfly, Airfush
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bobber » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Gunnar - I bought a Flydoor XL last year. Will the new fin retrofit?

Great board for super light wind if I keep it as flat as possible and use the fin for lift. I had to practice a bit to get the hang of it.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:50 pm

bobber wrote:Gunnar - I bought a Flydoor XL last year. Will the new fin retrofit?

Great board for super light wind if I keep it as flat as possible and use the fin for lift. I had to practice a bit to get the hang of it.
Hi.

Yes the fin can be retrofitted to the Flydoor 3.

I cannot tell you though when we will have extra fins in stock.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Kitesurfing”