Forum for kitesurfers
coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need advice on Size of edge for lighter wind

Postby coleman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:04 am

I have a 9m and 11m edge currently. Looking at getting either a 13m or 15m 2012 edge used. I need some advice on which to get.

Will be using 70wide modern race board along with sector and twin tips but I am about to get into riding raceboards so I want to make sure I am getting the right size for our conditions.

I weigh 165lb. Typical wind is 8-15 on light days, 15-22ish or 20-30.

I want to make sure that I have enough power on the lighter days but I do need the kite to have some range as it can get a bit gusty on our lakes.

What would my usable ranges be on the 13m and 15m?

Thanks!!!

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Re: Need advice on Size of edge for lighter wind

Postby ChristoffM » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:03 am

I think it depends on how hard you plan to ride. The pros seem to ride the biggest kite they can comfortably ride in a given wind so that they can get maximum performance (better speed upwind and downwind), whereas some guys like me that love just cruising around on a raceboard (since there is no one to race anyway) prefer to be less powered so that I can be more comfortable if the wind increases/gusts during a session. I find with a 70 wide raceboard that my 14m kite can take me upwind comfortably as soon as I can comfortably water relaunch it. Since the Edge is a better performance kite than mine, the 13m might let you ride in the same low end as any bigger kite, since any less wind would mean the kite dropping from the sky too easily. You should only want to go bigger than that if you want to ride harder and faster, which you might want to do if you get better I think.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Full disclosure: I've only ridden 59cm raceboards, not 70cm. Also I've never ridden an edge, I ride a Dyno 18m. But I will add my 2 cents anyway :D

My favorite thing about the raceboard is getting out when the wind is super light and the water is mirror flat. The big kite lets you go crazy fast in these conditions.

I know everyone measures and reports wind differently, but my low end with 59cm raceboard and 18m kite at 165 lbs is 7-8 knots. If you really want to get out in (my interpretation of) 8 knots, then you'll need at least the 15m.

With the raceboard, you're not working the kite much unless you're going straight downwind, so a smaller kite isn't more fun than a larger one. Racers typically don't move the bar at all, even for trimming in and out they use the trim strap.

I can see how on a more maneuverable board like a sector though, the 13m would be more fun to loop through fast carving jibes.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:58 pm

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:06 pm

stefaans,
i have been speaking with chris about this a little bit too. maybe you can give me your feedback on what your windranges in your quiver are with a raceboard? i hear the top guys are using 9, 11, 13, 17.....

i am thinking either 9,11, 13 OR 9,11,15.....i hear you need a little more power to load the fins than your typical directional. Also, and i am really curous as to your take on this, what is the learning curve like? everybody tells me it is pretty steep at first but chip has told me different. he said if i am used to the mechanics of riding the airush sector flat it should take only a couple of sessions to adjust to this.

most people have told me it takes about 20 hrs to start to get comfortable.....FYI, looking at getting the lab70 and ristafin.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Would hate to put wind ranges up here.

Sounds like you want to ride in some light stuff. when picking kites i always pick my smaller kites closer together than my big kites. The bigger the kites the more overlap they have in wind range!
At 200lbs i ride 9,11,13,17 and trust me I could dump the 13 and be cool with 9,11, 17
Guys here are a huge fan of the 15m Edge, don't worry about the number in your quiver this is the next size you need unless you were thinking eventually having a 17m then yes a 13 will make more sense.

never tried the Sector. never seen one actually none in SF but yes if you are riding a Sector I'm with Chip on this one it will be super quick. The older gear you get the longer the learning curve would be i would say the boards are riding much easier these days and anybody can jump on them and fly upwind no worries. What will take some time is doing the same thing with just a little more speed.
Downwind could either take you a day or 2 or take you a month. Kinda need to commit maybe face plant a couple times. Seriously when learning downwind just throw a bunch of power into it because the sooner you get up to speed the better you are of.

Return to “Kitesurfing”