Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Untangling lines

Postby edt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Relax guys he's being careful with his wind range. There is no "beach" where he's at just trees, so I understand why he's being forced to drift or tethered water launch. A drift launch is an advanced technique but it's only dangerous when you hook in while unspooling. If you don't hook in, even if the kite powers up prematurely all that happens is the kite flies away.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Untangling lines

Postby knot_moving » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:51 pm

edt wrote:Relax guys he's being careful with his wind range. There is no "beach" where he's at just trees, so I understand why he's being forced to drift or tethered water launch. A drift launch is an advanced technique but it's only dangerous when you hook in while unspooling. If you don't hook in, even if the kite powers up prematurely all that happens is the kite flies away.
Ok I guess I was a little hasty - sounds like he has competent people around & that he listens to you guys. Guess I am just sensitive to beginners not realizing just how fast things can go terribly wrong.

the not hooking in is the key to this thread - I have tried this a few times just to be able to use drift launch if I am somewhere needing it. Sometimes works fine other times not, but without hooking in it is always safe

Return to “Kitesurfing”