Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 8 years kiting and I was so wrong about boards

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Man that board is sexual. love the V-lam action. yes a lot less concave than the marko.

What I think panchito has discovered is not infact that this particular board is the most glorious in the world. He has discovered the glory of mutant riding.

Most people run TT and straight to SB and miss out trying a mutant. I think infact many riders would benifit from mutants. particularily those who are not surfers to begin with. For a TT rider who loves to boost and also shred in waves but still prefers the traits of a TT the mutant is an excellent choice.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby panchito » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 pm

plummet wrote:He has discovered the glory of mutant riding.

Not really ....

184.jpg
Been riding that mutant since 2009 .... and I can tell you that they share nothing in common beside of the denomination : board .

That Shinn is sure a nice board but .... the woody smokes it in every aspect .

Regards

Franz

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:31 am

Mako at 18MM
Woody at 15MM
3MM is not a lot of difference, 15MM is still huge concave.
Most TT's are at 4-5MM, .....right?

Those pics are very deceiving.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:55 am

Franz I've been riding mutants since the early days including the shinn from that era and the new mutants are much improved. Infact I stopped using them after 2009 went TT and SB but returned on a local Australian board called a cardboard wave. It is chalk and cheese. I also ride a mako 2013 and can understand why you are stoked and it seems this board could even be an improvement on that. I'd have to ride it to verify. so there is still some truth in what plummet has said as again you are comparing apples and oranges. Love to get my hands on this board though.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 am

Westozzy wrote: the new mutants are much improved..

And how many " mainstream " companies offer mutants ? As far as I know the RRD Toxic Wave is the only one I know .... maybe the North Nugget ?

I´ve been a bit disconnected from the kite scene lately so probably I´m missing something .

Look , I´m long enough into this sport ( and I´m not 20 anymore by far ) to understand that it is all a question of personal taste & preferences and to claim that x gear is the best ever is plain bullshit .

I don´t even consider myself an intermediate since most of the tricks young folks perform in freestyle looks to me like different versions of handle passes and kite loops; f16 , kungfu or how all those tricks are called? have no idea ... but I´m very decent riding with 10 knots and feel comfortable riding with 45 knots , love to jump and perform a handful tricks like board offs , grabs front/backloops and things like that

Also I have no idea how similar or totally different both the Mako and the Woody really are or even if there is any similarities between both boards , maybe John got a " special touch " building the Woodies but the fact remains that :

It was the first time that I truly enjoyed such a relaxed and effortless ride in my entire life , no knee or muscles or back pain or whatever after a 2 hour session on a board that literally lacks of everything modern boards pranks about .

So why bother writing about it ? simply because it turned upside down everything I thought I knew about boards and I truly believe most free riders < we average Joe's > out there would be better off on such a type/style /design looking for a more goofy , relaxed and easy to handle board . Yes , I'm not going to argue that dedicated lightwind , freestyle , wave or even race boards are fantastic and deserves their place in out sport but wish more companies would at least try this design for free ride .

OR deserves my highest respect by thinking out of the box and designing the Makos ....

Nothing else .... I'm done arguing .

Have fun

Regards

Franz

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 pm

panchito,
totally agree with you about this design. i could go out on my makos all day and barely be sore the next day. the different sizes offered some very different rides. my personal favorite was the 150x34 original. for pure speed and boosting this board is hard to beat.

glad you are enjoying your bellacera! it is a great looking board.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Franz I really resonated with what you just wrote man. That was just an excellent open honest description of exactly where I am at and where I see things. Totally see your point of view and totally agree. Its funny on the Aussie forum when you do a review you are meant to say what level you are and I lays have trouble at that point. Yeh been kiting for 13 years, understand kites and boards very well, but when you put your self up against what a lot of the younger crew are doing it is hard even to write intermediate. It should ask for years on the water I reckon.

Bit that is exactly how I feel about the mako man and I'm sure johns board does exactly that and there is no reason to doubt there is always the possibility it is a better and improved board over the mako. But they both share the same weird dimensions that make no sense to a modern view point on what's best for a board and yet....they do exactly what you just said.

Bloody brilliant mate Jesus I loved your honesty there mate, well done.

Eppo

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:07 pm

:thumb:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear