SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Good day in Cleveland

Postby SaulOhio » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:33 pm

You guys out West in the mountains make me sick. This is all I get here in Cleveland:

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Good day in Cleveland

Postby rvrrat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:14 pm

:idea: Looking good in Cleveland. Don't be sick. Be inspired. Sounds like a road trip is needed. Those guys out there are real friendly and the terrain rides the same, just bigger! JR

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 am

The first few years of snowkiting that I did in UT was on flat ground just like your video. Skyline and Strawberry were unknown at that time. It still was a lot of fun riding the flats and plenty of riders out west stick to the flats as well. Of course, Skyline and Strawberry are amazing, but some flat riding prepares you for the mountains. I still like teaching people on frozen, snow-covered lakes

A few tips to shake it up:

Fly a bigger kite, you were riding underpowered. You don't need a kicker if you have ample power in the kite.
Try a pair of snow blades. They are great for working on multiple rotations.
Skis will actually give you the ability to boost higher off of flat surfaces

Have fun and plan a road trip out west!

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:09 am

fernmannus: Yeah, I was on my 12, and could have been on my 16, but I was constantly expecting the wind to pick up, and riding on such a small field, I want to keep it small, for safety.

I tend to go bigger on ice, but even then I prefer to go for speed. The real air is for water, where a mistake isn't as painful.

My Youtube channel: SaulOhio

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Friday was another "good" day. Here is Joel Hagemon ripping it up on thin snow and gusty winds:

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Postby knewschool » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Sweet urban kiting. We used to look for flats to kite. Here in Jackson, Wy the flats are far and few between. Anything flat is private or reserved for the wildlife. We'd drive an hour past all the perfect looking kiting that's protected and go up to gusty wind at Togwotee flats where we'd get skunked half the time.

I've always thought you could do some cool vid stuff with a city in the background and such. Find some rails, I saw a picnic table out there, there's probably lots of unique things you can do with a sweet park like that if you're creative. It looks convenient too. Lot's of my spots are sled access or ski access. It'll be a days adventure just to get there and hope the wind is good. A nice park like that to kite, go across the street to grap some coffee when you're tired, you probably got some great waterkiting too...The cup is half full...

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:59 pm

:bye: Saul or Knewschool or anyone for that matter needs to make the 4.5 hour drive from Cleveland and check out the Hillbilly. Been ridin' here since the holidays with some nasty, rainy breaks that makes for great kayakin' and provides us with a big, narly, frozen base that gets lake effect snow on it. Even got hills to practice on for when you head west. These pics are yesterday. Corn today and rain tonite! JR
Attachments
IMGP1507.JPG
IMGP1504.JPG
IMGP1484.JPG
IMGP1463.JPG
IMGP1426.JPG

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:20 pm

rvrrat wrote::bye: Saul or Knewschool or anyone for that matter needs to make the 4.5 hour drive from Cleveland and check out the Hillbilly. Been ridin' here since the holidays with some nasty, rainy breaks that makes for great kayakin' and provides us with a big, narly, frozen base that gets lake effect snow on it. Even got hills to practice on for when you head west. These pics are yesterday. Corn today and rain tonite! JR
Exactly what Hillbilly are you talking about? You mean Tug Hill? I was there once for the last Kite Rally. Probably would have had a better time if there had been SW winds instead of SE. The locations for W winds looked better.

Instead, I'm planning on going the other direction to Houghton Lake in Michigan. Watching the wind forecast for next weekend.

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Home built hydrofoils.

Postby SaulOhio » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:30 pm

knewschool wrote:Sweet urban kiting. We used to look for flats to kite. Here in Jackson, Wy the flats are far and few between. Anything flat is private or reserved for the wildlife. We'd drive an hour past all the perfect looking kiting that's protected and go up to gusty wind at Togwotee flats where we'd get skunked half the time.

I've always thought you could do some cool vid stuff with a city in the background and such. Find some rails, I saw a picnic table out there, there's probably lots of unique things you can do with a sweet park like that if you're creative. It looks convenient too. Lot's of my spots are sled access or ski access. It'll be a days adventure just to get there and hope the wind is good. A nice park like that to kite, go across the street to grap some coffee when you're tired, you probably got some great waterkiting too...The cup is half full...
You are right. The cup is half full. We rarely get the good snow and wind at the same time, but when the planets align, it can be pretty good. Almost everything you said is true. We can do both, snow and water kiting, sometimes on the same day:

Joel even hit some picnic tables as rails. Didn't seem like a good idea to me.

But there is nothing across the street to get coffee. Its just the freeway, then a semi industrial area.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:51 pm

By the Hillbilly I am refering to West Virginia. Much closer then Tug Hill and better terrain. We even have some frozen lakes like High Pt Lake in SW Pennsylvania. Conditions are starting to get bad now. No snow on the fields I ride on now but one good snow event and we are back. I ride on mowed hay fields. The landowners get their last cutting in the fall and leave a smooth grassy service. Does not take much snow. I also ride down south in the Sinks of Gandy which is more like out west. Bigger hills and wind lips provide great features. Capt Argh and Spleft have made the trip up from DC. I am only 4.5 hours from the Cleveland area and would love to have you join me for a day. JR

Return to “Snow / Land”