Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2013 Cabrinha Switchblade power and responsiveness?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jetset
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marvin, Pie.
Favorite Beaches: Marvin
Style: Anything fun
Gear: 2013 switches
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2013 Cabrinha Switchblade power and responsiveness?

Postby Jetset » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Any reviews on the 2013 switches, specifically in regards to the power or responsiveness.
Please post!

bmencer
Rare Poster

Re: 2013 Cabrinha Switchblade power and responsiveness?

Postby bmencer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:07 am

I too would like to hear some feedback on the new 2013's. I am in the market for a switchblade and don't know if I should buy a 2012'discounted or pay for the new 2013.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 am

2013 is a little more responsive (quicker turning) and a little less power than 2012.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:33 am

My 2013 14 m Switchblade has a lot less bar pressure and easier/better responsiveness when compared to my 2012 kite of the same size. In the right wind it offers some nice jumping characteristics, better than the 2012 model in my opinion. I am still trying to figure out the change in power characteristics between the 2013 and 2012 models at the low end. I had a 9 m Vector in 2012 and just changed to a 9 m Switchblade for 2013 and have short time on it and so can't really comment on that kite size. Some real early impressions on the 2013 kite appear at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2377982

MCMario
Medium Poster

Postby MCMario » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:48 pm

I rode my 2013 SB (12, 10 and 8m) last week and I confirm they have less low end than the previous models. The bar pressure is a lot less witch is the biggest improvement in 2013. It's probably why there is less low end!! They seem to turn a bit faster than the 2012 but not that much in my opinion. I needed a few sessions to adjust my riding and I found that the B setting is better (more powerful, more direct steering, reminded me more of the previous years). Construction and quality is top notch and probably among the best in the industry. I was very disappointed that cabrinha did not include the extensible bag in 2013 as I really appreciated it in the past to temporary store your gear on vacation. :thumb:
Mario

Jetset
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marvin, Pie.
Favorite Beaches: Marvin
Style: Anything fun
Gear: 2013 switches

Postby Jetset » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:08 am

What does everyone think of the B setting? does it really give the kite more low end power like the older kites?

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 am

If your 2013 SB was mfg'd prior to Sept I suggest you tie a simple overhead knot in the outside bridle lines as I believe they ar bit to short, causing the bar to be a bit undersheeted at full power.Tkae off the outside line pigtails..the one with 3 knots. Tie a simple overhand knot in the bridle line just below the loop on the end where the bridle line is double/sewn. Replace the pigtails and fly the kite on the suggeted middle knot. Think you will find the kite a bit more repsonsive with a bit more low end. Can't tell you about SBs mfg'd after Sept.
steve

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want

Postby C Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:40 am

I've got a 14m and a 7m 2013 SB's

The 14m is a little bit slower then my 2012 12m it replaced and a little more powerful. Probably about like a 13m if they had made a 13m in 2012. The bar pressure is significantly lighter however the kite still feels nice and direct and the bar is not twitchy at all.

Relaunch has improved greatly from 2012 to 2013. I think the wider wingtips help the kite roll up on its side to relaunch. My old 12m would always get stuck leading edge down in light winds. No issues with the 2013 14m.

The 7m is AWESOME! Most stable small kite I've ever flown. fast enough to kiteloop and still catch you too yet not twitchy so unhooking is still possible if you keep your hands close together.

If I had to summarize the 2013 switchblade in one word it would be. Versatile!

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 pm

experienced1 wrote:If your 2013 SB was mfg'd prior to Sept I suggest you tie a simple overhead knot in the outside bridle lines as I believe they ar bit to short, causing the bar to be a bit undersheeted at full power.Tkae off the outside line pigtails..the one with 3 knots. Tie a simple overhand knot in the bridle line just below the loop on the end where the bridle line is double/sewn. Replace the pigtails and fly the kite on the suggeted middle knot. Think you will find the kite a bit more repsonsive with a bit more low end. Can't tell you about SBs mfg'd after Sept.
steve
I agree with you.
I tied that knot and it improved both low end and turning speed.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:41 pm

I dunno no notin' about 2012, never flown one. The 2013 at 200 lbs (92kg) has a huge range. I did not have my 15 for a month and a half after i bought the 12... 10-15 knts on a larger board (48 wide), 13-25 on a 42 cm wide. This is pretty good. So o dunno what the low-end used to be but this is very comfortable for me. A friend of mine an f-one rider tried it and after some nice air, a few darkslides, and kiteloops he said... It dors not turn fast but it turns well and you alwYs know where it is...he never had to "wait for the kite"...

Return to “Kitesurfing”