Calculating Aspect Ratios

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Calculating Aspect Ratios

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 pm

dyyylan wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote: Why do so many use the term "12m" about a 12m2 kite ?

The word constellation 12m does not exist as an area measurement in Danish nor German, and also lacking in most other languages, so why do so many english speaking say "12m" ?
Simple lazyness, or old bad habits or ?

Because there is no such thing as "12m2", it is 12m², but most keyboards do not have a way to produce that character. Everyone know what you're talking about when you say you have a 12m kite.
Sorry if explained wrong then - I meant that in "talk" many english speaking say 12 meter kite...

And this "term" is not used in most other languages, where it is named (translated of course) 12 squaremeter kite :thumb:

Just a silly thing I've noticed :roll:

:D Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Kiteus Maximus wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
Aspect Ratio = span / average width.

Area = span * average width.

Meaning AR = span^2 / area.

So your 12m2 kite with an AR of 5.4 has a span = sqrt(AR*area) = sqrt(5.4*12m2) = 8.0 meter.

And an average width = span / AR = area / span = 1.49 meter.

This is not a true way to calculate the aspect ratio. You can have the same aspect ratio for different sized kites and if you use your calculation logic then different size kites will have different aspect ratios.
I dont understand ???

It IS the very defintion of aspect ratio, so nothing one can change about that.

Just see the numbers Hansen uses - the very same calculation of course, and also giving approximately the same AR for different sizes :thumb:

Even though some brands also have lower AR for their smaller kites, so just different choices...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 am

Great so see some exact examples Hansen.

It shows that instead of the pre 2000 size scaling of 1.36 it is up to 1.8 for the most hardcore freestyle Switch C kites like the Combat.

And for the Method it is 1.42 so much closer to the pre 2000 "standard" sizing.

This is of course because the very first kites (Wipika Classic) were VERY wide in the middle, and tiny tips (and 2 lined) - so looking way more like present delta kites or the Method V2 or similar, thus having a similar projected factor, almost no matter how flat or not :D

The C or more C like kites with wider tips (really fast turning), like the Fuels and Nitro-Combat-Element has a factor between 1.6 and 1.8 apparently 8)

Nice to see some real numbers, thanks :thumb:

The Wipika Classic around 1.36 projected factor, actually quite low compared to later C kites:

And another type with a REALLY low projected factor:

Paragliders, to take a comparison to maybe the most flat types, typically has a projected factor between 1.1 and 1.2 only !

:D Peter Frank

oldschoolman
Rare Poster
Gear: My own.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby oldschoolman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: Formula is correct, and the easy way to measure (but numbers are not...)

Aspect Ratio = span / average width.

Area = span * average width.

Meaning AR = span^2 / area.

So your 12m2 kite with an AR of 5.4 has a span = sqrt(AR*area) = sqrt(5.4*12m2) = 8.0 meter.

And an average width = span / AR = area / span = 1.49 meter.
Why to complicate you with calculations, when you can simply put your dimensions on an web tool like this and calculate AR? I'll always use this tool to calculate AR and never fail.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 pm

dyyylan wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote: Why do so many use the term "12m" about a 12m2 kite ?

The word constellation 12m does not exist as an area measurement in Danish nor German, and also lacking in most other languages, so why do so many english speaking say "12m" ?
Simple lazyness, or old bad habits or ?

Because there is no such thing as "12m2", it is 12m², but most keyboards do not have a way to produce that character. Everyone know what you're talking about when you say you have a 12m kite.
Actually every keyboard at least within Windows can do this ² .... the key combination is
Alt 0178 ² and Alt 0179 for ³ and Alt 0176 for ° etc.... you can pretty much use any character you want if you know the correct key combination.... note you must hold the alt key down while you enter the numbers

edit: just looked it up, you can do it with Mac as well but the key combinations are different.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:39 am

Laughingman wrote:...

Actually every keyboard at least within Windows can do this ² .... the key combination is
Alt 0178 ² and Alt 0179 for ³ and Alt 0176 for ° etc.... you can pretty much use any character you want if you know the correct key combination.... note you must hold the alt key down while you enter the numbers

edit: just looked it up, you can do it with Mac as well but the key combinations are different.
Which is why nobody does it. Why type it and why say it when everybody knows what you communication?

It would be cumbersome to say "My twelve square metre kite." or even worse to say "My 12 metres squared kite." when all you really need to say "I had my 12 up and it was good!"

Return to “Kitesurfing”