Style: Pretty much everything
Gear: Cabrinha, ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wainman Joke size

Postby infinitysa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:10 am

Hi,

I'm looking at picking up a Joke, since they are pretty cheap right now. However, not sure what the best size for me would be. I'm about 78kg. I've been riding a 2009 Cabrinha custom 133x39.5, which is a great board once you get to 19 kts. Under that and it isn't great for wakestyle. I want a board I can pull tricks in 15-16 at the lightest.

The Joke 134x40.5 is a little bigger, but maybe I need to go to the 138x41.5? By comparison, I've ridden my friend's Monk 132x41, which is perfect. Too bad they are $800.

Any thoughts?

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Re: Wainman Joke size

Postby pixelpedro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:12 am

Have you considered the Tona Pop? about the same price, actually I think (don't quote me on this as I'm not 100% sure) but I think a brand new Tona is a little cheaper than the Joke, I was leaning towards the joke myself, but decided to go with the tona, cause of its light wind performance. Again I haven't tried either board yet, but I've read the Joke is a sick board powered up, I wanted something more wind friendly. And after reading tons, and some actual peoples experiences with the 2 boards, I decided on the Tona.

Can;t beat the price, I just ordered one, seems very promising board.

BTW No affiliation to Tona, just did a bit of reading and talk to a few dudes.
Last edited by pixelpedro on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 am

Had a Shinn Luigi 133X 42, then had a Shinn Monk 132X41, both very nice boards but the Monk needed really solid kite power to go upwind, at 80kgs/175-180lbs.
The Wainman Joke 138 is the size recommendation for 80kgs on the Wainman website, and they know what's up.
Bought the Joke 138..great board.
Smaller than that size for me would have needed too much kite power, not enough upwind ease.
The 138 feels right, loads for jumps really well, carves nicely, eats chop,and lands jumps softly.
And it is easy to see in the water upright or bottom side up, when you are dragging back after another crash and burn.
Made in Austria, built like a tank and finished super clean.
Last edited by L0KI on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 am

I'll say this about board sizing. Go bigger! At your weight you should be in the 136-142 board range. If your riding boots go towards the higher end straps the lower end. All so look at the width especially if you want to ride boots. Narrow boards will don't work that good with them when edging hard. Your heels will grab the water. 42cm wide is kinda your starting point.

I'm 5'5" 175-180lbs (I'm really stocky) I have been riding a 141 at the cable and a 143 on my kite with boots. If I'm riding straps I have a 136.

kungfupete
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Favorite Beaches: Flat water
Style: Wake Style
Gear: Stonker Boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby kungfupete » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Go the 138 or the 142. I'm 5'10" and 72kgs and ride the 142 with boots. I also use to ride cab custom 140 and liked the board but found it needed more wind to plain. I can ride the 142 it light winds and stay upwind with others no probs. And throwing this board around is no worries.Generally for rocker boards you wanna go bigger any way.

Return to “Kitesurfing”