Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

riding off the wind...

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: riding off the wind...

Postby ronnie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Both videos are in HD so better watched on Youtube.

Johnny talking about rounding the weather mark at 5 minutes in this

Kites - how they take the weathermark and work the kites downwind at 5.30 in this

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alex a » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:09 pm

I am riding the board in 4 strap mode, so am wondering if I should fit the 5th strap so that I can get my weight in over the middle/rear fin...
If you are having problems going off the wind, start by using the Middle or Chicken strap, especially if it is windy or bumpy or you are new to raceboarding. Even the top Pros ride the middle strap when overpowered downwind. We are here in Baja and the other day we ran the Long distance race called the Lord of the Wind race which is a 3 mile upwind downwind race.. We took 11m and it was almost 7m weather when we got to the weather mark. Definitely easier to get back downwind with the middle strap. One top guy did not have his chicken strap on his board and he suffered downwind. Most Pros will not use it until it is windy, but when you need one, you really need one!

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 am

alex a wrote:
I am riding the board in 4 strap mode, so am wondering if I should fit the 5th strap so that I can get my weight in over the middle/rear fin...
If you are having problems going off the wind, start by using the Middle or Chicken strap, especially if it is windy or bumpy or you are new to raceboarding. Even the top Pros ride the middle strap when overpowered downwind. We are here in Baja and the other day we ran the Long distance race called the Lord of the Wind race which is a 3 mile upwind downwind race.. We took 11m and it was almost 7m weather when we got to the weather mark. Definitely easier to get back downwind with the middle strap. One top guy did not have his chicken strap on his board and he suffered downwind. Most Pros will not use it until it is windy, but when you need one, you really need one!
Hi Alex, thank you for your reply :)

I'm going to give that a go. Things don't get done fast here at the moment, currently there is 5 inches of snow on the beach. Might be a few more weeks until I get back out :)

I'm hoping to be at the Tarifa training camp in a few weeks time, Hope to pick up loads there!

wdric
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wdric » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 am

Tone wrote:Things don't get done fast here at the moment, currently there is 5 inches of snow on the beach.
Holly crap, you need to find a new country to live in :wink:

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ozchrisb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:21 pm

alex a wrote: If you are having problems going off the wind, start by using the Middle or Chicken strap, especially if it is windy or bumpy or you are new to raceboarding. Even the top Pros ride the middle strap when overpowered downwind. We are here in Baja and the other day we ran the Long distance race called the Lord of the Wind race which is a 3 mile upwind downwind race.. We took 11m and it was almost 7m weather when we got to the weather mark. Definitely easier to get back downwind with the middle strap. One top guy did not have his chicken strap on his board and he suffered downwind. Most Pros will not use it until it is windy, but when you need one, you really need one!
Thanks for the tops Alex. Can you tell us what the disadvantage of using the chicken strap is? Sounds like it easier to go downwind but I'm guessing it limits your top speed as you can start loading the fins by hiking out?

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 pm

In General, it is faster to be in the outside straps downwind. This is especially true in light winds or going a little closer to the wind while reaching downwind.
When it gets too bumpy to stop falling in or it is super overpowered downwind, then the Pros switch to the middle or chicken strap(s) to go fast and not fall.
You can generate more speed and power in the outside straps because you can get more out of the fins by hiking against them.
If the water is flat, it is definitely easier to use the outside straps than if it is choppy water.

Bradn
Medium Poster
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone R1 V2, Custom race foil

Postby Bradn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 pm

outside strap is faster, only go to chicken strap if its survival conditions

1 - if you are flipping the board than perhaps you are putting too much pressure on your heels to the rail of the board, try putting your foot further into the foot strap and push with your toes

2 - stand up straight and you want to work the kite as much as possible to keep it far back in the wind window

3 - Practice A LOT

4 - Success! :D

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks guys! :)

3c tomorrow and i'm gonna try it )

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Update.

I now have upwind riding down, I think I have good angle and speed. Turning is getting better, nearly nailed roll tacks and have jybes down pretty well.

Off the wind I am still struggling.

I can broad reach just fine, getting quite quick as well. But in chop, when trying to go downwind at the angle I see in races I always seem to need to get into the chicken strap unless it is super light... I find I just explode.

Thanks for all the tips guys, learning when the water is warm is WAAAAY better :)
]
Tony

Return to “Kitesurfing”