Key West flats
Mattunuck
Gilgo
Tobay
Great South Bay
CT
Style: wake/freestyle
Gear: Kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: Shop affiliated. Choose to ride Cabrinha.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite videos got too boring to watch!!!

Postby 25knot+ » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:36 am

jens wrote:I am going to state what 90% of these posts are really saying.

" I am old, limp, jealous, and not willing to put the work in to understand/participate in what is really pushing the limits of kiteboarding. I just don't understand why what I am comfortable doing isn't the cool thing being hyped by all the brands. I mean really, isn't my weak, slow, low risk, low speed, joyriding, dangling, baton twirling, weekend warrior style of kiteboarding the thing? Its these punk kids and their boots, just ruining our beloved day sailing sport. I don't want to have to be reminded of just how average or below average my kite skills are on a daily basis.

These punk kids and there boots can blow the doors off of any style of kiting they choose. They are the ones pushing the limits of kiting and the ones the companies are willing to promote.

Some one tell me why if what people really want is old school then why aren't other board/extreme sports regressing? Snowboarding, freestyle skiing, Surfing ect. are becoming faster , bigger and more technical. I am sure if you go to a skiing forum people are not saying," Hey, whats up with all these twin tip skiis? There going backwards, rotating inverted and landing backwards, how boring" What happened to the days of neon snowsuits and the spread eagle?

eree,

you are truly a ignoramus. Please post a video or picture of yourself kiting, I am sure we would all agree that you have it nailed.
Jens... truer words are rarely spoken. Great post.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 am

jens: this is what I mean. no respect towards other opinions.

I am sure the majority does respect what the wakestylers do, and how hard it is, but these people just don't like it ! take it as a fact.

One day you will understand that there is more than trying to be cool. It is when you are happy in your life and enjoy what you WANT to do, not what you think you HAVE to do.

mz16
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mz16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 am

+1 for what Jens is saying.

And to be fair, the criticism of "how many handle passes do you do...it all looks the same" is valid in my mind, style needs to go beyond technique for me. Yet that sentiment, which seems to be the most popular criticism of the wakestyle vids, is doubly accurate for the lauded airstyle. Huge airs are interesting, maybe a sweet tweaked out grab 50 feet of the air, or even some huge board off, so are different kind of glide tricks (darkslide stuff) equally fun to see, but twirling the board once, then twirling it twice, then touching it with your left foot, then your right foot, is boring as hell after you see 5 variations, just as boring as seeing the same kite to lunch quintuple handle pass from 15 angles.

Whats next? Im going to jump twenty feet in the air, and as i slowly descend im going to unscrew my fin, then screw it back in?

Different strokes for different folks in the end i reckon. I think the main distinction here is some people want kiting to be like Olympic sports, with the long distance ski jump, and the acrobatic ski flipping thing, and figure skating, and some people prefer X-games style stuff where (at least in spirit) the emphasis is on style (though wtf snowmobiling?)

Every action sport has too much tech in it from time to time, thats just the way it goes. Sooner or later the emphasis comes back to style. If you are doing it with style (not just calling it _____-style) then you are doing it right.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:04 am

Different strokes for different folks in the end i reckon.
exactly. and great that the sport offers this.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 am

Damn u guys are getting long winded in here

As someone who enjoys wakestyle freeride and waves and who also likes to make my own vids I see it like this.

Random shots of kiting cut to music is cool the first few times u see it but it gets old fast.

Add a narrative or interview or any kind of storyline and it gets 100 times more interesting. This is what I see naish hadlow len10 and anything redbull doing. It really makes a difference Imo.

ben newman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ben newman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 am

Jens is right on.
The difference between nowadays and 5 years ago is that we have seen hundreds and thousands of kite videos allready and to get us excited requiers a bit more, because we have seen everything allready.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 am

ben newman wrote:Jens is right on.
The difference between nowadays and 5 years ago is that we have seen hundreds and thousands of kite videos allready and to get us excited requiers a bit more, because we have seen everything allready.
I know this feeling all too well.

Best thing for it is to take a break. You're either over stimulated or getting burned out. Usually a little down time helps with both of those problems for me anyway.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 am

What i see often:

Sponsors and slr arty depth of field blur shots for 45 seconds
blind judge in slomo
back mobe
L3
25 seconds of arty boring shit again
a slim
a raley to blind in slo mo
blurry grass/tree shot in wind
Sunglasses and baseball cap shot (with expensive beer)
sbend
front blind
20 seconds of boring shit at end followed by sunset shot/credits

What I like:

No intro longer than 2 seconds
Riders doing some interesting, non egotistical talking maybe even helping out others with ideas/ their experience etc
Risk (to riders self - not others)
Slam section - more pain involved the better, leave out the boring ones
Less overdubbing of music and more live sound even if it is wind noise..
A 1L bottle of whisky and a 24 pack of cheapest beer money can buy.
Newly invented tricks or progressions on existing tricks.
Higher wind riding.
Original ideas.

mind u i got respect 4 anyone that gets a video made by actually managing to find a human being to film them cos very few people i ride with ever film - all got expensive cameras but never time to film cos could be riding instead

johnm
Frequent Poster

Postby johnm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 pm

can't remember any online videos when I started - only ones were on VHS and cost £20 (not complaining btw, I pretty much learnt to kite from boost 1 + 2 :D )

we're just plain spoilt now and can watch 2 or 3 new vids everyday - for free!

doesn't matter on the style - if you're watching that much stuff you're bound to get a bit blase - hell there was a recent vid of ruben megalooping in 50kt freezing conditions and people were complaining they'd seen it all before... :roll:

me personally - I'd like the pro vids to show more wipeouts - it costs a lot of beatdowns to learn the more difficult wakestyle / slider stuff - maybe people would appreciate it more if they showed that :thumb:

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm

jens wrote:A whole lot of meaningless blah-blah-blah...
Dude, first of all, I've asked very clearly - please, lets not turn this thread into another FS vs FR vs WS bashing. Do you have issues reading in English?

Ride whatever the f@#k style you want, in fact everybody are free to do what they want - that's the whole beauty of that sport!!!!

My main point is that kiteboarding videos got fu@#$ing boring to watch because it's mostly WS now and it's visually non-appealing. There's no style to it, just the same "pop-spin-pass-land" banana-yanking.

Speaking of Naish TV, gotta love the "Meed The Boss" episode. Robi Naish while being an old fart has the greatest riding style I've seen to date. Very inspiring stuff!

Hell, Toby has more riding style then the top 10 handle-pass punks all together!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”