Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Luzon Philippines

Forum for kitesurfers
mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Luzon Philippines

Postby mmeyers12 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 am

I am considering renting a car and traveling up the west coast of Luzon. I will be vacationing in the Philippines from the 2nd - 21st of February.

I am curious as to how windy the west coast actually is. Since the dominant wind during this time is Northeast, I imagine that the land possibly causes the wind to do funny things at this time. So would it be worth traveling up the West Coast by car and exploring a bit or just to get to the Northern part of Luzon as quick as possible?

Also, if I do drive up the west coast, I am planning on bringing a tent to camp at some places where accommodations are either too expensive or unavailable. I know around big cities there is a lot of crime, but how safe are other parts of Philippines?

And my last question has to do with Boracay. I keep reading that the water there is actually somewhat polluted. Can anyone that is there now tell me about the current water condition?

Thanks in Advance!
Mike

Also, if anyone has a used surfboard for sale in the Philippines feel free to send me a message!
Last edited by mmeyers12 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Luzon Philippines

Postby doublerumandcoke » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:41 am

The west coast will have many spots, if you can find roads to get to them. It is a 3rd world country. I'd advise not to drive at night (i've experienced this).
Kingfisher up the north is the most well known spot.
Mmm camping. Locals are friendly but very poor in the provinces so you might look like an opportunity. You might be better offering locals some cash for a bed if there are no usual options.
Boracay had water issues but Manila water sorted out the treatment works. Storm drains vent into the lagoon which can mess the water, but the lagoon drains out almost each low tide. I've not had issues with the water for a few seasons now.

Hope this helps.

DRC

Return to “Kitesurfing”