Forum for kitesurfers
Outside
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thousands of migrating sharks are back in SE Florida

Postby Outside » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:50 am

There is simply no better way to learn to jibe a directional than to practice during a shark migration.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:47 pm

It should increase your motivation if not focus. Then there are all those mobile kickers and no straps to keep you on your board.

Here is a video clip from the session, I was just trying to capture the setting after sunset. There isn't one handle pass in it, promise.

A short video clip of riding in the lagoon, beach is closed due to excessive beach erosion. It is a very peaceful place, sharks aside.

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Style: Surf
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries

Postby Ecoastprock » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:30 pm

RickI wrote:It should increase your motivation if not focus. Then there are all those mobile kickers and no straps to keep you on your board.

Here is a video clip from the session, I was just trying to capture the setting after sunset. There isn't one handle pass in it, promise.

A short video clip of riding in the lagoon, beach is closed due to excessive beach erosion. It is a very peaceful place, sharks aside.
You wont catch me anywhere near that mess! Here in Charleston, SC we have had our own problems with Mrs. Marry Lee (16ft 3600lb Great White) swimming around. Its funny the tricks your mind plays when you think about a predator that big and scary. Any stick, weird wave, flash of light turns into instant thoughts of death haha.

PS Your videos are cool! Is that vid post processed or RAW footage?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 am

They are headed your way! Then again, they may spread out quite a bit over your wider continental shelf and perhaps get lost. Was that one of the pair of white sharks that came in close to the beach in Jacksonville within the month? They had been tracked down the east coast and ended up almost on the beach in northern Florida. Will still kite down here during the migration just not in massive schools of blacktips any more or if there are obvious signs of shark activity, diving birds, jumping bait fish, etc.. Thanks, that is an unprocessed clip out of the GoPro camera.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 am

Wow, just last week, I was kiting at dusk near a jetty, when about a mile out, I saw a whole mess of birds wheeling around, and decided to check it out. When I arrived, there were schools of baitfish breaking the surface and being snacked on by pelicans and seagulls, and I rode right through that mess. :lol:

I suppose, in retrospect, that might not have been the best idea... Maybe if earlier in the day I had picked up 13 tails-up coins while walking under a ladder and stepping on a crack in the sidewalk, dropping the small mirror out of my shirt pocket as I bent over for the coins, the noise of which startling the nearby black cat, which arched it's back and hissed in theatrical style... And I happened to be humming the theme music for Jaws while I passed through that school of fish, I might not have been typing this post right now. :D

braveman
Medium Poster

Postby braveman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 am

WTF :o

Heard Shark fillet is excellent with some mango sauce.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:51 am

braveman wrote:WTF :o

Heard Shark fillet is excellent with some mango sauce.
Yuk, as food it is not good...

Cheers
Caesar 8)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Over the years about the only time I have had sharks show much interest in me, outside of the migration, is when baitfish were kicking up, there were diving sea birds, etc.. Fishermen look for this of course and will go out of their way to find it. It is more than just baitfish but larger predators potentially including dolphin, wahoo, billfish in deeperwater and sharks too. Sometimes you will see the dorsal fins making for you on the surface but often not. Most of the time they stay submerged making it harder to see them. I hit a bunch of bait kicking up with swarming seabirds on the first 60 mile kite race from Jupiter to Ft. Lauderdale and in pretty sharky waters. Wasn't thrilled about it but what are you going to do other than veer off a bit and only if practical.

Just because you ride areas of bait kicking up doesn't mean you will have problems. It can be like walking around old Harlem in a white sheet with a gas soaked cross asking for a lighter. You are asking for trouble by your actions, sometimes we get what we ask for other times not. Last point, attacks on kiters are very rare, even more so while on plane. Attacks on surfers are fairly common. Once you go into the water, you become fairly surfer-like. Most kiter attacks seem to have happened with kiters in the water and off plane. It is all about awareness and choices. Lightening strikes are rare too and yet folks are still struck at times by "asking for it" or increasing the risk through their choices, conscious or otherwise.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Ecoastprock wrote:Its funny the tricks your mind plays when you think about a predator that big and scary. Any stick, weird wave, flash of light turns into instant thoughts of death haha.
Haha, I know what you mean!

I find it's worse when I'm out in <10 knots on my raceboard. You fall on a jibe 1/4 mile out (happens very quick on the raceboard in flat water). Your kite is barely hanging in the air as you slowly drag back to your board. Everything is very quiet with light wind and no waves, then you hear a little splash behind you...

When it's windier with more waves, there's a lot more going on out there and you don't focus on what could be underneath as much.

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Style: Surf
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries

Postby Ecoastprock » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 am

Wow, just last week, I was kiting at dusk near a jetty, when about a mile out, I saw a whole mess of birds wheeling around, and decided to check it out. When I arrived, there were schools of baitfish breaking the surface and being snacked on by pelicans and seagulls, and I rode right through that mess.
In the summer, when all the shrimp boats are out, i have seen the same exact thing. I was tacking out and noticed a huge area of disturbed water with birds EVERYWHERE. I was kind of curious so i just rode straight through it.

As i approached, I realized it was kind of like a no turning back situation and i just went for it. I immediately regretted the decision, as i was going through the area, which was about 3 times bigger than it looked, I saw fins and fish just getting blitzed by huge fish and dolphins. I zipped past the bait ball and decided I should probably never do that again.

The water here is much different than S Fla so shark sightings are very rare until they are right on top of you or in the surf zone. Im sure the numbers are similar but what you cant see....

The only shark i have ever seen kiting was a few months ago. I was taking out and saw a 3-4 ft bonnet head just cruising ahead of me. As i approached, the thing just darted and disappeared.

Return to “Kitesurfing”