2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The most important thing...

Postby WildDuke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 am

You can have all the wind, all the gear in the world, beautiful logoons and nice warm water, but I means nothing without your health and fitness. I sprained my medial ligament in my ankle over a week ago and am confined to a deck chair in a hotel room in paradise, watching hundreds of kiters and windsurfers enjoying the water.

I've learned something new about this sport while sitting here and that is the need to keep fit and strong in the off season so you don't injur yourself when you finally get to go out for a kite! I advise you all do the same so you don't have to endure what I'm going through right now!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Re: The most important thing...

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:18 am

WildDuke wrote:You can have all the wind, all the gear in the world, beautiful logoons and nice warm water, but I means nothing without your health and fitness. I sprained my medial ligament in my ankle over a week ago and am confined to a deck chair in a hotel room in paradise, watching hundreds of kiters and windsurfers enjoying the water.

I've learned something new about this sport while sitting here and that is the need to keep fit and strong in the off season so you don't injur yourself when you finally get to go out for a kite! I advise you all do the same so you don't have to endure what I'm going through right now!

Yep agree I too have found that out this season. But they seemed to have all ironed themselves out and 17 days in a row the body has finally gotten kite fit. But yep especially your core. I two suffer ankle issues. Have found supping has strengthened them considerably.

braveman
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby braveman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:21 am

That's a bummer.
You can sit on the beach and take photos off everyone :D

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm

WildDuke wrote: ...

I've learned something new about this sport while sitting here and that is the need to keep fit and strong in the off season so you don't injur yourself ...
And That doesn't apply to just strength training ; your Diet is just
as important.
If you think eating taco-bell bean burritos for three meals a day
will suffice, your Sadly mistaken ; it "Will" catch up to Ya , in several
years or less !

Bille

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Well i don't have an off season and kite through out the year. So i am the same fitness at any time of the year.

But I'm not a spring chicken any more and am not as rubbery as i once was. So i need to curb some of my enthusiasm to stave off injury.

Return to “Kitesurfing”