Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

One Pump System in all kites should disappear!

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: One Pump System in all kites should disappear!

Postby edt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 am

tony montana wrote:i never had a problem with octopus system,i know a guy repairs most kite brands he reckons its one of the best and easy to repair.TONY
Who is he? Around here you have to pay triple normal cost to get an octopus repaired.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:22 am

edt wrote:
tony montana wrote:i never had a problem with octopus system,i know a guy repairs most kite brands he reckons its one of the best and easy to repair.TONY
Who is he? Around here you have to pay triple normal cost to get an octopus repaired.
If that is the case you are getting screwed. It is an easy to work with system.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 am

tautologies wrote:
edt wrote:
If that is the case you are getting screwed. It is an easy to work with system.
It's more like "We dont want to repair any of your 2004 Naish leaky octopus kites".

But of course you can force them to do it if you pay them enough money.

Didn't realize there were people out there that liked repairing these kites better than normal ones.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JGTR » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 am

I bet most of the people moaning about Octopus on this forum have never even owned an Octopus kite and even if so have never had to do any repairs........ :roll:

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:56 am

Reliable and convenient, just like most one pumps out there. Hell, most are better! And when you consider the time you spend repairing a kite to the time you spend pumping it and packing it down, it's easy to see why multi-pump is doomed. Hoping against hope that kite manufacturers will turn back the clock and go against what sells kites is a bad bet to take. Might as well embrace the change, because it's as inevitable as the internet society leaving behind the octagenarians who don't believe in that new-fangled electric typin' box.
Most are not better, have seen external one pumps damage canopies, nipples go brittle and break off and hoses spilt, a lot less to go wrong on the Octopus.

Multi pump doomed? Think you'll find its the opposite :thumb: Non multi pump kites only to keep the weight down or for cost reasons, nothing to do with reliability

One pump is the future.........no it's right now :rollgrin:

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:25 am

Most are not better, have seen external one pumps damage canopies, nipples go brittle and break off and hoses spilt, a lot less to go wrong on the Octopus.

Multi pump doomed? Think you'll find its the opposite Non multi pump kites only to keep the weight down or for cost reasons, nothing to do with reliability

One pump is the future.........no it's right now
Wait a couple years. Several years ago, there were almost no one-pumps. A couple years ago, there were many one-pumps. Now they are almost all one-pumps. What do you make of this trend? Would you buy a car with window cranks? How about a car with leaf suspension and drum brakes and a carbuerator? Who needs an air conditioner?! That's just right now. I guess it's fair to say, once these auto manufacturers get their heads out of their asses and realize that the people don't like convenience, we can get back to the 1970's technology and move forward in a no-frills direction. :lol:

With an allowance for kites that are meant to be all about light wind, or meant to bring the unemployed into the sport at rock bottom prices, one-pump is here to stay.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:18 am

Flight Time wrote:Wait a couple years. Several years ago, there were almost no one-pumps. A couple years ago, there were many one-pumps. Now they are almost all one-pumps. What do you make of this trend? Would you buy a car with window cranks? How about a car with leaf suspension and drum brakes and a carbuerator? Who needs an air conditioner?! That's just right now. I guess it's fair to say, once these auto manufacturers get their heads out of their asses and realize that the people don't like convenience, we can get back to the 1970's technology and move forward in a no-frills direction. :lol:
Well said mate!
:D

Anabatic_co_nz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Zealand
Gear: 12m 9m and 7m Skull Kite
Brand Affiliation: Founder of Kiteboarding.RED

Postby Anabatic_co_nz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:27 am

It is funny watching people pump up their Naish kites strut by strut, not realizing it is one-pump Octo inside. :allbegood:

I just think the external system is easier to fix 10:1
For Naish issues good luck to you.
We stopped selling NAISH years ago for so many reasons.

Just got a kite with 1 pump again this week, past few years rode without it.
It does not make any difference to me personally.
The kites performance is what matters.

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:53 am

get rid of one pump?!?!?!?!?

nope!

get rid o' octopus maybe,...

but i just paid Airtime a modest sum to
revive my naish shockwave
it was not all that costly.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 am

get rid o' octopus maybe,...
Why? It's a very reliable system, sure its a bit fiddly to repair but all one pump systems are fiddly. It has a lot less failure points than any other one pump system. I've never heard of any problems, just moans that its fiddly to replace a bladder and most of them are from people who have never actually used Octopus just what they read on a forum or a friend of a friend said :roll:
I buy old Naish kites off eBay for £100 and less, my 07 14m Torch cost me £70, recenyly two 06 Ravens cost me £50 each, the rest of my kites are all 07/08 and the Octopus system works absolutely fine on all of them, never had any problems with it at all.

Return to “Kitesurfing”