barelhunta
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Ben Wilson Pro 2010 Replacement

Postby barelhunta » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 am

Hi,

I was riding the 2010 BWP manufactured by slingshot and have found the board to be well suited to my size and riding style.

The 2010 BWP stood up to two years of solid kiting and worked strapped and strapless in a variety of wave sizes, i particularly like the thruster set up and shape of the board.

Prior to riding the BWP I has 3 number 2008 SST's and the original airush converse which all snapped eventually, none of these lasted as long as the 2010 BWP.

I am now riding but disliking the 2012 North WAM its slightly shorter at 6'0" and with me being 6'2" tall and 85kgs i am finding the board too small, essentially i can rise the WAM strapless with my front foot in front of the inserts (to increase the surface area between my feet) but I cannot ride the WAN strapped at all!!!!!!; when I turn in front of a wave even strapless the board bogs and I loose all board speed and find I have to do a lot more with the kite to get going; strapped this is simply exacerbated i.e. there just isn’t enough board under my front foot.
I have also found that I cannot outrun mushy sections as I simply cannot shift my weight over the front foot to generate the same speed that I could from the 2010 BWP.

I like the WAM in head high surf with plenty of wind; and there is nothing wrong with the board its just the wrong size for me.

Anyway I have been looking at replacing the 2010 BWP with either:

1. 2013 WVX Tyrant by slingshot which i am told is not built very well as slinghot have changed factories this year.

or

2. Airush converse.

Essentially my prerequisites are that the replacement must:

a, have three fins.

b. a squash tail.

c. have a similar size and shape to the BWP 6'2" x 18.55" with a 14" tail.

So my questions are does anyone have any information on the longevity of either the tyrant or converse and can anyone suggest another type of replacement board that might measure up :?:

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: Slingshot Ben Wilson Pro 2010 Replacement

Postby bigwave » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Where did you get the info that the Slingshot Tyrant was not built very well? I have never heard that?

barelhunta
Rare Poster

Postby barelhunta » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 pm

From a dealer (annonymous) here in the UK, he was sayting that he couldnt give any warranty with the product (tyrant) at all and he was actively steering me away from purchasing one on the following advise...

"slinbgshot have changed factories this year and the glass job isnt recomeneded and isnt durable"

Is this ture, does anyone know howe the tyrant holds up in comparison the the 2010 BWP?

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Are these your only two choices ?
I recommend you consider the Xenon Vidra 6'1" or the Fone Surf 6'2" .
Good luck :thumb:

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm

barelhunta wrote:From a dealer (annonymous) here in the UK, he was sayting that he couldnt give any warranty with the product (tyrant) at all and he was actively steering me away from purchasing one on the following advise...

"slinbgshot have changed factories this year and the glass job isnt recomeneded and isnt durable"

Is this ture, does anyone know howe the tyrant holds up in comparison the the 2010 BWP?
I would suggest you find another Dealer. I would not understand what knowledge he would have unless he actually used a 2013 Tyrant and had construction issues with it. You should Email SS UK and ask there opinion and warranty of there product.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I'd suggest try and find another 2010 BWP. Mine is still holding up in great condition can't imagine what it takes to break this thing. Somehow I have a hard time getting my brain around it being 18.55" so make sure about that. I believe its more like 19". i have a 6'1" Tyrant also and its half the board the 2010 BWP is. everything is much thinner. There is a 2011 6'2" that would be a great replacement.

roonek
Rare Poster

Postby roonek » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 am

barelhunta wrote:From a dealer (annonymous) here in the UK, he was sayting that he couldnt give any warranty with the product (tyrant) at all and he was actively steering me away from purchasing one on the following advise...

hi,

I'll try to ask again
Does anyone have problem with slingshot surfboard 2013?
:-)

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm

How about the North Pro series 6'2 x 181/2 x 21/4. similar looking shape to the BWP and goes sweet. cant compare performance as never ridden a bwp but in my opinion this is currently the best production kite surf board on the market and one of the lightest.
has inserts and regular surfs real well too.
mine holding up great even doing huge strapless airs :D

p__han1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island, GA
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Cabarete
Tybee Island, GA
Sullivans Island, SC
Islamorada, FL
Huguenot park, FL
Style: wake/surf/big air!
Gear: 2012 Slingshot fuels 9m and 13M
2011 Slingshot fuel 7m. I need an 11!
Supershinn
Slingshot asylum
5'11" Slingshot Celeritas
5'11" slingshot tyrant
Ion apex harness
Brand Affiliation: AOK Team Rider

Postby p__han1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:42 am

I have a 2013 slingshot tyrant 5'11". no problems here. going out on it tomorrow in fact!!!!!

smiling thinkin about it already!

Return to “Kitesurfing”