Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need some advice after my first season.

Forum for kitesurfers
frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Need some advice after my first season.

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:04 pm

finnkc wrote: I have no idea what to put money on tho.
How about the bank? :lol:

Sounds like you've made up your mind already but have you exhausted all the possibilities with the gear you have? The better you get the more low and high end you'll get out of the gear you're riding right now. You can tweak your kite for faster turning and for more low or high end... have you done that? What ever was your max wind last season you'll beat that next season... same for low end.

I think you can get one more season with out spending a dime and not miss a thing. As said before get to some demos. You can always buy more gear. Second hand isn't a bad option... since you can't get out at the drop of a hat...

Good luck and good winds :)

finnkc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario Great Lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: 2012 Blade Fat Lady 17m
2012 Liquidforce Envy 12m
2011 Naish Bolt 10.5m
2011 Crazyfly Allround 145x41
2011 Naish Haze 141x41

Postby finnkc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Yea I have looked around the web for ways to tweak the Envy for better low / high end. I have tried the different knots on the rear lines but other then that I haven't done much else. I am going to be getting some 4m-8m line extensions for lighter wind to get a better power stroke.

I found the trim to be really touchy. A few times I was in 24-28knts of wind and depowered by various amounts and the kite was luffy and not very responsive, but again that is the upper range of the envy 12m too so I just left it at that.

If anyone has better ways I am all ears.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 pm

finnkc wrote:Yea I have looked around the web for ways to tweak the Envy for better low / high end. I have tried the different knots on the rear lines but other then that I haven't done much else. I am going to be getting some 4m-8m line extensions for lighter wind to get a better power stroke.

I found the trim to be really touchy. A few times I was in 24-28knts of wind and depowered by various amounts and the kite was luffy and not very responsive, but again that is the upper range of the envy 12m too so I just left it at that.

If anyone has better ways I am all ears.
Holy crap, 24-28 knots I don't think I could be attached to my 12m envy without getting lofted. So yes... way out of the proper wind range. I would actually be on my 9 heavily depowered in that much wind.

finnkc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario Great Lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: 2012 Blade Fat Lady 17m
2012 Liquidforce Envy 12m
2011 Naish Bolt 10.5m
2011 Crazyfly Allround 145x41
2011 Naish Haze 141x41

Postby finnkc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Haha yep I was out of the water about 5 mins later, I just kept it low and walked back in. It seems the top end of the envy comes very quick and sudden. 12 - 24 knots all is well ... 26+ and it is like a different kite. I once got into some big gusts 32+ and that was not fun. Had to put the kite down at the window edge on its tip and wait for it to pass. The wind can really build as the day goes on here (thermals) and sometimes I don't notice until it really starts to get uncomfortable. Plus having only one kite to fly I find I end up pushing it more then if I had a size down to jump onto. Before a bad situation happens I really need to get a smaller kite. :-?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:07 am

I agree with that, once you're beyond the top range of the kite it flies a little differently. I would suspect it has to do with how low aspect it is. Plenty of benefits to outweigh it though like not ever backstalling and being super consistent and stable unhooked :)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:48 am

finnkc wrote:Had a great first season. Took a lesson in the Caribbean and bought some gear when I returned home to the great lakes and started improving on my basics.

So now that I am looking to spring to get back on the water. I need some more gear, looking for recommendations and even stuff to stay away from.

Skill: beginner (10 sessions on the water)
Weight: 180-190lbs

Already own a 12m Envy and a light to moderate wind TT (145x41 little rocker and no concave). I was thinking 17m for the summer, a 9m for the windy days, and a good TT for chop.

Envy is good, but I am open to other kite shapes and brands for sure. Tried a Naish Bolt 10.5 and it was fast fast fast in comparison to the envy and I felt like it had almost the same low end with a much better high end. Also had my hands on a Blade Fat Lady for a bit and I really liked the way it was just dive, park, and cruise.

Looking for something easy to fly, has good low end power, and a high end that can tolerate gusts.
I am not too worried about boosting huge air and stuff like that at this point, just want to get out on the water with the right gear. Been looking at Kahoona / TS / Park / Ride / Xbow / Switchblade / Lithium / NRG / Envy. I have no idea what to put money on tho.

Also a good TT that eats chop?
Well if you liked the feel of the bolt, the Park will be faster, ut same type bar feel. Almost same range, a tad less grunty, but overall a bit better than the bolt...a tad more aggressive, but still stable.

If you like the "park the kite" and ride type, the Naish Ride kite is actually made for that exact thing. You can probably still pick up bolts for a good price.. :-) The 9 Bolt is super good.

For the bigger size the Naish Fly will be great...very fast and agile for its size. Again similar bar feel to the bolt. There are a ton of good kites out there, but make sure you find what fits your riding style.

Same for TT, tons of good ones. I would look at something with a bit of rocker, and not too stiff in the beginning. Especially since you are not too worried about jumping huge. Stiffer boards are a little less easy to ride, but give better quicker feedback.

Return to “Kitesurfing”