which knee braces are the pros using?

Postby Starsky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

looking for the best ACL support for watersports

Ted B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: which knee braces are the pros using?

Postby Ted B » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Hey Brother I am not a pro but I think the best Knee brace is the "CTi" It is what all the wakeboarders, Motocross guys are using and I have seen a few kiters in this brace also, The motocross guys use them for protection before an injury so they are super strong.... I have the CTi custom and its the only brace I can keep in place on my knee while kiting........ Good Luck knee injuries suck I am having a bad time with my knee also..

inga_w
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby inga_w » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:34 pm

I am also using the CTI but I am not that fond. The function is pretty good, it feels like a shock absorber but it doesn't stay in place. When wearing a neopren it has to be taped otherwise it keeps sliding down. It works better without neopren.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Its an old injury, but my brace is pretty worn and quite heavy so looking into a new one. Mine is so heavy, I usually don't wear it on water, but almost always do on snow. Want to find something that will work in the water, with/without a wetsuit and slippage is a major factor. Right now its between the CTI and Donjoy.

The fact that so many top wakeboarders go with the CTI is pretty persuasive, but I thought I would put it out there, and see what other kiters are using. No need to be a pro to weigh in on this one. Still, Im interested to know what hadlow or Youri and others are going with.

Half the time it will be under a wetsuit.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: looks like Kevin and Youri use the CTi, Mark Shin had done a promo for Donjoy and I dont know what Aaron is using.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

I have thought about buying a CTI brace as well. After doing some reading I decided against it since I have never actually torn my ACL. My knees do hurt from time to time but that is from a decade of heavy weight lifting. I use a simple Ace bandage knee brace. They work great for me when ever my knees start hurting. I don't wear them all the time either just if I have been riding cable and or kiting a lot.

The batons keep it from rolling in crashes. They are way cheaper than a good mechanical one all so.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 pm

TheJoe wrote:The batons keep it from rolling in crashes. They are way cheaper than a good mechanical one all so.
Does it make sense to wear a mechanical one preventively? ie.. the same way that one would wear a helmet if going for a progress-or-bust session? Would it prevent an acl tear? I imagine the band you are wearing would not prevent an ACL tear? I imagine it would help with fatigued tendons, but probably also cuts into your circulation?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 pm

polarstorm wrote:
TheJoe wrote:The batons keep it from rolling in crashes. They are way cheaper than a good mechanical one all so.
Does it make sense to wear a mechanical one preventively? ie.. the same way that one would wear a helmet if going for a progress-or-bust session? Would it prevent an acl tear? I imagine the band you are wearing would not prevent an ACL tear? I imagine it would help with fatigued tendons, but probably also cuts into your circulation?
I'm not a doctor so I do not know. I know from what I have read that you should not use them for prevention, but instead strengthen your knees. Again not a dr. so don't hold me to that.

I use the ace for compression. It does not add any support structurally the batons just keep it from rolling when you crash. They are nothing more than a spring that has been flattened.

Here is a cheaper alternative to the CTI brace. http://evs-sports.com/store/product.php ... 257&page=1

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Not looking for a tensor.

Competent light weight, water/wetsuit compatible support suitale for post reconstruction knee.

Donjoy, STI... others?

and wich one stays put better on wet skin?

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:30 pm

My Donjoys have fallen apart on me My Newest CTi brace is super light and stays up very well.. It has interchangable pads that go in the brace so it could be used with a suit also Have not tried mine over my suit yet will let you know in a few days.. The 1 day I went out without my brace I hurt my knee and have been off the water for 2 months now should be back in the water this weekend and will be using my brace over my 4/3 suit

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:57 pm

I ride a Don Joy. I am not as big as Ted though, so I have had the same braces for like 12 years. I have had both knees repaired, several times. ACL,MCL,PCL, and a couple of cart-ledge tears. starting 25+ years ago.

I don't ride any braces if I am not "nursing" a sprain. I keep my legs and knees strong, and use good kite control to try and keep the landings plush. I also found if I wear boots my knees get worked more on water, then straps.

I also have taken a older wet suit and cut one leg in to a sleeve to place over my brace, I had a 7M pull me under after snagging a line on my brace at the gorge. It was very scary and I had to "figure out" what was going on as my kite looped pulling me under, leg first, down wind quickly. I un- tangled the line and was fine, but I was spooked for sure. I had the same thing happen on snow when a line snagged a ski boot buckle perhaps that experience helped me figure out the brace tangle.

I also ride year round and try to not wear braces on snow when I snowkite, either skis or snow board. But loved the protection when I was healing.

Good luck!

BB

Return to “Kitesurfing”