Local Beach: Gotland, Sweden
Style: Jump as high as I can
Gear: F one Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha vs F One, North - 2013 kites

Postby johnny_dove » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Been riding F One for a few seasons. Really like the huge airs and the ability to ride up the line, wave riding etc. I am thinking it may time to sell them before they get too old, lose all value and try something new.

At the moment I am into kite loop tricks like the E16 and trying to start progressing onto powered tricks / unhooked. After trying a North Vegas kite I have realised that my F Ones are rather skittish in the air and the power delivery not anywhere near as smooth as the Vegas. Not ideal for confidence trying to get into "powered" tricks as opposed to send jump based tricks.

A local dealer offers great deals on Carbinhas, are they worth a look? The Vegas is expensive...I used to have an old 2006 or 2007 SB but did not like the pull on that kite. Very stable but got owerpowered easily and no room for riding down the lines. Constant fight your board edge vs the power of the wind. Pulled like a boat which perhaps makes it nice for wakestyle. Or perhaps all of this has changed? Worth taking a look? What model is similar to a Vegas?

Anyone tried the Bandit 6? Maybe this kite is more stable than the B5? The B4 is ok for stability but has too much bar pressure and lat pull.

Jdude
Medium Poster
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot

Re: Cabrinha vs F One, North - 2013 kites

Postby Jdude » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 pm

The 6 is faster than the 4 and flies more to the edge of the window, it also drifts a lot better than the 4.
The bar pressure on the B6 is considerably lighter than the B4.

I think that if you get a B6 or a B5 you'll love it compared to your "old" B4.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Have a look at the Cabrinha Drifter if wave's are your thing.

Switchblade is an all all-rounder. It will work well in waves but the Drifter is a refined wave specific design.

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 pm

I have a B5. Great for riding around like a banshee and throwing sent jumps. A lot of fun! Also great in waves. The North Vegas so smooooth. I rode them back to back, over powered on butter smooth flat water. Like riding a Merc after riding after driving VW Golf. The F one may be more fun but the control of the Vegas instills confidence and the smoothness is good for holding a solid edge, popping etc. May be good for learning new things!? Just very expensive...Could not get the Vegas to jump near as high as my Bandit but I think it is down to using different timing. Was jumping so high with my Bandit that day that I almost got scared. But I heard the Vegas did well in high jumping competition. Was in another thread. Would probably just need getting used to it.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:40 pm

johnny_dove wrote: Or perhaps all of this has changed? Worth taking a look? What model is similar to a Vegas?
2013 swtichblades are faster turning and lighter bar pressure than switchblades of the past, but still relatively slow and bar pressure is too much for me. Others love the high bar pressure so a matter of personal preference.

Cabrinha's new freestyle kite, closest to the North Vegas, is the Chaos.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:56 pm

My 14m 2013 Switchblade still feels VERY slow. not AS slow as a 2012 14m but definitely slower then a 2012 12m.

It does definitely have less bar pressure though and better relaunch then previous years. IDS doesn't seem to work quite as well on the newer switchblade though. Seems like the kite doesn't flip on its back quite as easily as previous years.

moffemand
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete.

DR
Favorite Beaches: Couipe
Brazil
Style: Freeride
Gear: Vegas 2012

Postby moffemand » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am

I have always hated Cabrinha because of heavy bar presure and slow turning, but the chaos is the first kite a like from Cabrinha.

The bandit is a great kite but a shitty cheap bar / release system.

Me and a friend tested the Chaos and Vegas 2013 and we both agree on rather spending 100 $ more and get the Vegas.

I have now the vegas 2013 in 8,10,12 but I think my favorite size will be 9.

Morten

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Yeah, would rather buy the Vegas but believe it or not, the Vegas would cost me $ 900 more than the b6 or the Chaos...

Yeeeharrrr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton,Blackrock, Rhosniger.
Favorite Beaches: El Medano
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas, north Dyno, Nobile fifty /50, Nobile 2HD, Airush Sector V2 52c

Postby Yeeeharrrr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Get the bandit six and pair it with the north 4 line bar, last years bar is way cheaper and in my view better, had all the bandits and Vegas kites even this years, I have settled for the bandit six, but I still own a set of bandit Vs, they are too close to call, but way better than the fours.
The F One bar set is a pile of poo.

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Yeeeharrrr wrote:Get the bandit six and pair it with the north 4 line bar, last years bar is way cheaper and in my view better, had all the bandits and Vegas kites even this years, I have settled for the bandit six, but I still own a set of bandit Vs, they are too close to call, but way better than the fours.
The F One bar set is a pile of poo.
My 9 M is a Bandit 5. I do love it. Very lively. But the Vegas.. so smooth. Did you try the 12 M Bandit 6? Any good? The bar pressure on my B4 12 M gets annoying after getting used to the B5. The bar is ok on the Bandits only the release does not work ...Does not flag. No matter where you put that stopper ball.

Return to “Kitesurfing”