Forum for kitesurfers
windrider11
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Heading to Barbados Silver Sands - need some advice

Postby windrider11 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:43 am

Hey guys I'm heading to Barbados, Silver Sands and I was wondering if there's someone that can offer me some advice about the spot. I know its a great wave riding spot and that's why I'm going, but would really appreciate some advice and tips from people that have kited there before.
Thanks.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: Heading to Barbados Silver Sands - need some advice

Postby irwe » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Great spot to ride medium size waves.
Best wind is usually early in the morning (which most people miss) and later in the afternoon.
I bring down a 9m + 13m + surfboard (73 kg rider)

windrider11
Rare Poster

Postby windrider11 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I was planning to bring a 9m Drifter and an 11m Switchblade and of course my surfboard. Anything I should know about the spot? watch out for, etc?

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Great spot, you should enjoy. 9 and 11 are the right kites typically, sometimes it's good to have a 7m. Launch can be quite gusty when there is some N in it, the reef can be shallow in spots at low tide. Downwinders from Long Beach are short but fun and worth doing. Surfers Point has some great waves (20min up wind of the launch) but the coast along there is quite unforgiving, so it's not a bad idea to wear a leash if kiting there (but that is a personal call). Otherwise pretty straight forward.

mnd12
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Nobile twin-tip, Slingshot surfboard

Postby mnd12 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:28 am

Any recommandations for accomodation around Silver Sands? How about resturants inthe area?

Thanks!

toddalbinson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wrightsville beach NC
Carolina beach
The Basin
Masonboro Island
Favorite Beaches: Any with wind
Style: wake,free,surf
Gear: Switch,Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Switch team Rider

Postby toddalbinson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Great kiteboarding but be careful. Launch can be wind shadowed and sketchy. If you get messed up in a wave(which you prob will) make sure to get kite relaunched asap. If you get in trouble there is a rescue beach around the rocks with a trail. After that is out to sea... If your going with a buddy than watch out for each other. Getting others help there can be a crap shoot.
Get in touch with Tony. He is the instructor for the Da Action school/rental shop on the beach there owned by Brian. He has some apts for rent close by for a good rate. Think he even has a car to rent. I usually just buy groceries and eat out at night but you need a car or the cab fares will get out of control. Oistens on a fri night is a must. Plenty of great restaurants around. Just do some research on trip adviser. Silver sands has good food too but pricey.Watch out for the coconut men.. :lol:

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:20 am

if you have a big budget then silver point hotel looks very nice and is beach front. I didn't stay there but you can't miss it when you're kiting. plus lots of hotties there at the very small pool.

otherwise there were some pretty ghetto places within walking distance so I'm sure you can stay close cheap.

I stayed about 20 minutes away more near night life but you'll want a car for that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”