Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Restube safety floatation device

Postby mike dubs » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Exactly, to me it's last chance saloon. Kite ditched, board lost and about to go under, then I'll be glad to use it and the cost or the lanyard it's on will be the last thing on my mind.

I go out in some strong and big conditions with confused seas, the water is about 8C now and the air temp about 4C and the next few days have 2.5 to 4m swell and gusts upto 45mph forecast, and when this has arrived, it'll make for a bit more piece of mind.

Mike

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:30 pm

mike dubs wrote: and when this has arrived, it'll make for a bit more piece of mind.

Mike
What have you been using up until now?

If you haven't been using a pfd then I gotta ask why not? A pfd can give you piece of mind as well and you won't have to worry if it's going to inflate and it stays in place quite well. Of course if you're going in heavy surf and can't use a pfd then the restube would be better than nothing. Any where else I can't see why one wouldn't go for a more time proven option like a pfd. I've had one for 14 years and it's still good.

Ya so be interesting to hear why a basic pfd wouldn't serve you just as well :)

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 am

Because a PFD is bulky, and they think it's going to cramp their style. Oddly enough, it's the same people that are so inclined toward safety that they want to buy a $100 pool float. If I was that worried about safety, I would be wearing a PFD for sure, because it can save your ass even if you are unconcious If you are about to go under after losing your board and kite, you are out of your element. If you can't tread water or float on your back, especially when you are in a wetsuit, which adds a bunch of flotation, you are in need of a PFD. If the water is 8C (about 46F), you had best be in a drysuit, and close to shore, in which case you should be able to swim the 100 feet to the beach. If you can't, you have been out too long, and are on the verge of hypothermic shock, or have been knocked unconcious, or just plain don't know how to swim. A PFD will save your butt in those scenarios. But hey, get the pool float, if you want to half-ass your last chance.

poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m

Postby poools81 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:10 am

can you get this in the us? was also looking at the see-tee inflatable rash guard for those days when im in the ocean and really far off.

Dustfarter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La

Postby Dustfarter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:56 am

It's the perfect accessory to pair with a Go Joe.
Buy kooks buy!

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Interesting if I were going offshore.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:38 pm

AlexandreBorges wrote:Interesting if I were going offshore.

going offshore worried about swimming back several miles you think inflatable swim noodle that's perfect

poools81
Frequent Poster

Postby poools81 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:11 am

thats right we are all pros on here. unreal why people always try to knock someone down i asked a fucking question. I guess this guy is a kook too for wearing an inflatable wetsuit. thats right you guys ride just as good as him too right? He's a kook too for wearing one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqs_kLW7bSE

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:30 am

that particular model of inflatable wetsuit inflates on your back and will press ur head underwater if u are unconscious. Not ideal bro. U can be a legend and still not understand safety. the reason they put the bladder on the back instead of the front is because after you hit the release, when you get back on your board it's easier to paddle with the float on your back than on your front. Of course, this also means if you get ko-ed after u hit the release you are doing the dead man float.

poools81
Frequent Poster

Postby poools81 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:13 am

i hear ya man i was just thinking of getting something for those days when the rip\ tides and seas are nuts. figuring if shit hits the fan i have something to float on for hours instead of treading water. i remember reading a thread about a experienced kiter in hatteras that went missing and later found deceased in very rough seas. Not saying a pfd woulda saved him but it might give you the float you need until you are rescued. Im not trying to have one on me all the time just for days when seas are crazy, like they have been the last two days and also during heavy hurricane swell in late summer. if you get knocked out most likely you are screwed with a life jacket too. I would like to have a back up plan when shit hits the fan im 31 years old i don't need to act like im to cool for a safety device I have family that expects me to come home after sessions. So if someone would like to check out the see-tee it seems to be pretty cool p\roduct but also wanted to know if the restube was sold in us. p.s. im not sure why you have to chime in if you don't like the idea then don't fucking buy one i was just asking if they sell them in the us. many thanks Mike

Return to “Kitesurfing”