Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Costco Surfboards

Postby William Munney » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:51 am

8'0" foam surfboard for $99 and 5'8" for $59. Reinforced with wooden rails.

http://www.surfimages.com/blog/2012/07/ ... at-costco/

Worth it as a board to learn on? Would it instantly break with the stress of kite surfing?

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Costco Surfboards

Postby sarc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 am

I rode one. No good for kiteboarding. Too thick and floaty, very bouncy on chop and very hard to hold any edge. Good to learn regular surfing for those no-wind days tho.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:33 am

Under the stresses associated with kiting in the waves, it probably would not hold up. It might it the waves were very small and you are not doing any airs, also if you are lightweight. It would probably hold up if you are kiting more flat water, or sound water with some chop, again especially if you are light.

I've used a 7'2" or maybe it was a 7'6' foam surfboard a few times. It held up fine for me, I'm about 64 kgs I think. I also picked up one of those 58" beater boogie boards, with a fin. Super fun to mess around on, probably the same surface area as a skim, has worked pretty well in light winds. I haven't taken it in the surf as it comes with a single fin but It's fun throwing shuv-its around on transitions and stuff. The nice thing is the soft foam top is comfy on your feet and if you by chance air and land on it, it won't hurt.

I'd probably recommend just finding a used surfboard from a local shop or craigslist and just go easy learning what you want to learn. I will feel nicer on the water.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:45 am

For 100 bucks you can whip out your jig saw and cut it into a custom with sharper rails. Did the same with a softy and like the other poster said it's a blast in light winds with no foot straps.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:38 am

I have both. although it cost 15% more in Hawaii, it is still a bargain. the 5'8" is good for regular days with 10Knots plus wind. The 8 foot will be very good for 6-10knots. They are not as good as regular kite specific surfboards, but @ that price, they are worth every penny to me.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Does this mean walmart is gonna get into the kite surfing business ? :D That would be interesting. Kite complete for $195... right next to grocery isle.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:13 pm

If their shortboards are anything like their SUPs I would say stay away. I guess it's ok if you just want to go paddle in circles, but beyond that they are terrible. very unstable and flexible and they drag ass through the water.

i tried a friend's and ended up spending 1200 a new board :/

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:03 pm

You might check to see if your local surf shop. Maybe they have something used that is going to be significantly more awesome for just a little more money.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:21 pm

William Munney wrote: Worth it as a board to learn on? Would it instantly break with the stress of kite surfing?
Costco boards are fun boards and made for just having some of it. Since they've been made from foam they have great buoyancy and are great learning boards for surfing or SUP. Our beaches are full of them and even some unofficial foamie competitions are around.
I have a couple of them in my garage and use them to goof off in super light wind. Can you use them as a 'training board'? Sure thing; Best trainer for a strapless transition board and its water start. Because they are light they are easy to handle and you have to have your footing right to get up. BUT since they are foamies they are thicker and have a higher buoyancy, so edging and steering is a bit more awkward than a regular kite surfboard.
If you have kids or 'non-kiters' in your beach party then they are a must to bring: Less anxiety to use a board and less fear to break anything, because they are cheap ...

Well, a hundred bucks for fun and get-going or a grant for being left behind :lol:

peace

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2D5ugxEV ... D5ugxEVBXA

Yeah, you can take ur soft top in once u break it and get a full refund

Just keep ur receipt

Return to “Kitesurfing”