Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch wetsuit - reviews anyone?

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Switch wetsuit - reviews anyone?

Postby Laughingman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Thinking about picking one of these up. Anyone here have one? Pros/cons? I currently wear a hyperflex K 4/3. This one looks to be comparable. What do you think?

http://switchkites.com/products/wetsuits/wetsuits.html

Pete
Last edited by Laughingman on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch wetsuit - reviews anyone?

Postby UKSurf » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Friend has one and really rates it. Very comfortable and warm. Looks stylish too.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby shawn13 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 pm

The picture looks similar to my NPX Assassin 4/3 in construction. Including that front zip.

I noticed on the beach their kite canopy construction looks similar design to Cabrinha too. I'm curious if their stuff is a low cost copy...

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:58 pm

shawn13 wrote:The picture looks similar to my NPX Assassin 4/3 in construction. Including that front zip.

I noticed on the beach their kite canopy construction looks similar design to Cabrinha too. I'm curious if their stuff is a low cost copy...
I would not say that Switch kites are the best kite for everyone there are design trade offs that some people will like and some wont and like everything it is a matter of personal preference. But their cheaper price is certainly not to do with cheaper construction I can tell you that. If you buy a kite in a shop you have to remember that the shop and distributor adds alot ontop of that. Swich are not cheaper because they use cheaper construction, they are cheaper because of their distribution method.The only brands I have seen with better construction than Switch are premium cost brands like North and F-one.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby shawn13 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:36 am

UKSurf wrote:
shawn13 wrote:The picture looks similar to my NPX Assassin 4/3 in construction. Including that front zip.

I would not say that Switch kites are the best kite for everyone there are design trade offs that some people will like and some wont and like everything it is a matter of personal preference. But their cheaper price is certainly not to do with cheaper construction I can tell you that. If you buy a kite in a shop you have to remember that the shop and distributor adds alot ontop of that. Swich are not cheaper because they use cheaper construction, they are cheaper because of their distribution method.The only brands I have seen with better construction than Switch are premium cost brands like North and F-one.
I was referring to a low cost copy of a neilpryde to the consumer, not that the products were made cheaply.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:57 am

shawn13 wrote:I was referring to a low cost copy of a neilpryde to the consumer, not that the products were made cheaply.
I dont really fly Cabrinha but I think Switch designs are not direct copies of other brands. Although , obviously they are influenced by existing kites on the market.

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:10 am

I've had one for almost a year, it still looks brand new and water doesn't leak in anywhere. Very warm suit. I rate it as better quality than my previous Rip Curl Bomb where the neoprene started to rip after a year, despite being three times more expensive.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:05 am

Got mine :thumb: had it out for 2 sessions, in 12˚C air temp but cold water - snow-melt from the mountains into the lake. Perfectly comfortable!

I got the XXL and it fits nice - I'm a little bigger in most of the measurements, except for height. Seems as well made as my Hyperflex suits but looks better, with the blue stripes etc down the arms.

Things I like...
Fits comfortable, great price. Compare $180 with the $7-800 the locals are spending for custom fit O'Neill suits :o
Shipping was about $30 and it arrived in 5 days.
The neck seal has a smooth coating (?) so slides around when you move your head - nice!
The wrists are cut at an angle, so it's a bit longer on the outside than the inside of your arms... good touch for maximum coverage.
Doesn't let water in the top easily but is still easy to get out of - chest zipper.
Warm enough - I think it'll be fine down to just under 10˚C for me, although I'll feel cold but won't suffer.
The tough-feeling knee area seems to be a bit longer than my other suits...

Things I don't like...
Drain holes work well but when I wear boots, they go over the legs and so cover the holes, which are just above the ankles.
The seam at the back of the knees was a bit tight, but I think it's stretched now so is ok again.
The zipper-stop tab is a dome snap button... I think I'd prefer velcro. Maybe :o

Things I noticed...
Haven't seen a key holder pocket or anything.
There's a screen-printed (?) pattern on the inside of the wrists and ankles - I assume it's to minimize stretching and add some grip.
Wind-chill was bad on Saturday, and I could feel it on my chest... I go commando though so that might be solved with some thermals.

Only time will tell how long it will last but so far so good! :D

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the review Kami... mine is on its way, hopefully I get it before the weekend.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:10 am

Laughingman wrote:Thanks for the review Kami... mine is on its way, hopefully I get it before the weekend.
Should've pointed out that I'm used to colder temps and have more insulation than many people ;) so while I'm warm at 12˚C, others might be suffering - I know the locals are still in dry suits...

I kited all through winter, as air temp hovered around 0˚C and it was even snowing some sessions - used my 6/5/4 Hyperflex Amp3 and 5mm NPX boots'n'gloves... and was impervious to the weather, totally comfy. Got way too hot when temps climbed, although my 3/2 was too cold. The Switch fills the gap perfectly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”