Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Heading to Oahu - help! which beach, which kite??

Forum for kitesurfers
dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Heading to Oahu - help! which beach, which kite??

Postby dejavu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 am

Yes I look for the cheap flights, early morning are good and back late. I hire a car as I can get b/fast early at whole foods as you cannot kite until 11, then a quick shop at the kite shops to see what is new and then kiting. Usually $50. All up not an expensive day....dearer if you do an organised activity at Waikiki.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:51 am

dejavu wrote:Yes I look for the cheap flights, early morning are good and back late. I hire a car as I can get b/fast early at whole foods as you cannot kite until 11, then a quick shop at the kite shops to see what is new and then kiting. Usually $50. All up not an expensive day....dearer if you do an organised activity at Waikiki.
If you want a good breakfast then go to Paia and cafe tres amis.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dr Makani » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 pm

If it's just for breakfast I would stay at Oahu:
Malasadas and a cop of java @ Leonards
You'll never leave :lol:

peace

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Dr Makani wrote: You'll never leave
Hotel California?

kelamist
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Style: All round, wave, boosting
Gear: North Orbit
Switch Nitro
Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby kelamist » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 pm

The more I learn about oahu and hawaii in general the better it gets! im seriously hanging out to get over there.

All accom booked now, early June.
2 nights in waikiki when we first arrive, just to get settled.

Then off to the north shore for 5 nights in Haleiwa, looking forward to some snorkeling, relaxing and maybe surf. Also looking forward to driving up the north shore to see all of the famous beaches i've seen in so many dvd's etc over the years. From what ive read there's not much swell this time of year but will still be cool just to have been to the beaches.

Then down to Lanikai beach for the last 4 nights of our trip. This area of oahu also looks amazing from my research. More relaxing, snorkeling... and hopefully kiting!
(will keep an eye out for you 'dejavu')

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:13 pm

it's all about leverage of expectations 8)

Maybe I can share a few words of advice which I offer to all of my 'real' friends when they come to the islands:
Snorkeling - Don't waste precious cargo load in your luggage by bringing your own snorkel gear. Honolulu has a Costco (you can visit with a day pass from customer service) and a Walmart. They have what you need (and then some)
PLEASE - Do not feed the fish to attract them while snorkeling. It's just a bad habit and sea life is suddenly depending on food source 'tourist'. It's kinda like with the pigeons in a park :)
Hanauma Bay, Makaha Beach Park, Ko Olina Resort Area and Kulima Cove are good for starters. Sharks Cove (close to Waimea) is excellent. Yes, it's touristy but so is 90% of Oahu. Be careful at the westside of the island. Many areas are considered off-limits for tourists. Just some bad neighborhoods.
Have lunch (or dinner) at Rainbow Drive-In, Kanaina Avenue - a MUST! It's greasy and smelly, but it's a favorite hangout for locals.
Spent an afternoon in the Pauahi Bishop Museum! Seriously - covers the Polynesian islands all the way to Australia 8)

As for kiting? Have your kite ready, but don't hold your breath ...

peace

kelamist
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Style: All round, wave, boosting
Gear: North Orbit
Switch Nitro
Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby kelamist » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Dr Makani wrote:it's all about leverage of expectations 8)

Maybe I can share a few words of advice which I offer to all of my 'real' friends when they come to the islands:
Snorkeling - Don't waste precious cargo load in your luggage by bringing your own snorkel gear. Honolulu has a Costco (you can visit with a day pass from customer service) and a Walmart. They have what you need (and then some)
PLEASE - Do not feed the fish to attract them while snorkeling. It's just a bad habit and sea life is suddenly depending on food source 'tourist'. It's kinda like with the pigeons in a park :)
Hanauma Bay, Makaha Beach Park, Ko Olina Resort Area and Kulima Cove are good for starters. Sharks Cove (close to Waimea) is excellent. Yes, it's touristy but so is 90% of Oahu. Be careful at the westside of the island. Many areas are considered off-limits for tourists. Just some bad neighborhoods.
Have lunch (or dinner) at Rainbow Drive-In, Kanaina Avenue - a MUST! It's greasy and smelly, but it's a favorite hangout for locals.
Spent an afternoon in the Pauahi Bishop Museum! Seriously - covers the Polynesian islands all the way to Australia 8)

As for kiting? Have your kite ready, but don't hold your breath ...

peace
Wow, such great info and advice. Cant wait to visit all of these places, Thank you!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 pm

From halewa you are just 10 mind away from moks. It is at the north west tip..but you have to be confident to ride there. June it will probably quite windy there...any day with no clouds..so just about everyday....no promises tho.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 am

What are the dangers at Moks? I was up there a couple years ago and it seemed fairly safe. Only thing I can think of is how desolate it is. I didn't kite though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”