2013 10m North Vegas
2014 Xenon Laluz
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problem with north bar line setup

Postby xenosd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 am

Hi there,

I have a 2011 10m north evo and I use it with the 4 line setup (2011 quad bar). My safety line (connected to the release ring) was worn out so I decided to replace it. I bought a new (original) one and I made the change. After this I notices that the length of this line was about 6cm longer than the old one. In this case, when all lines stretched, all lines are equal except for the one I replaced. Any idea why this happened and if it can bring me trouble? :?: :(

The steering lines are on the knots which provide the longest setting (in this position, all lines were equal before I changed the line).

misfit132
Rare Poster
Style: Race/Freeride
Gear: North Fuse 7 12
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Mystic

Re: Problem with north bar line setup

Postby misfit132 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:01 pm

xenosd wrote:Hi there,

I have a 2011 10m north evo and I use it with the 4 line setup (2011 quad bar). My safety line (connected to the release ring) was worn out so I decided to replace it. I bought a new (original) one and I made the change. After this I notices that the length of this line was about 6cm longer than the old one. In this case, when all lines stretched, all lines are equal except for the one I replaced. Any idea why this happened and if it can bring me trouble? :?: :(

The steering lines are on the knots which provide the longest setting (in this position, all lines were equal before I changed the line).
No it can't bring you in trouble. But you have slack on your safety line even kite/clam cleat is fully powered? I also use north 4 line bars and when I depower kite normaly safety line has a slack if you depower more, than more slack... But when kite is powered than the safety line should not have much slack... Don't worry about that if its a bit longer. If you release the safety it's even better, cuz your bar will go further away from you.

xenosd
Rare Poster
Style: freeride, boost
Gear: 2014 12m North Rebel
2014 9m North Rebel
2018 7m North Rebel
2013 10m North Vegas
2014 Xenon Laluz

Postby xenosd » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 am

misfit132 wrote: No it can't bring you in trouble. But you have slack on your safety line even kite/clam cleat is fully powered?
Yes, you re right. even if the kite is fully powered, there is a slack on the safety line.
misfit132 wrote:I also use north 4 line bars and when I depower kite normaly safety line has a slack if you depower more, than more slack... But when kite is powered than the safety line should not have much slack... Don't worry about that if its a bit longer. If you release the safety it's even better, cuz your bar will go further away from you.
ok, I just cannot understand how this happened. Even if the center lines were stretched too much, the new line had to be shorter, not longer. :-?

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:46 pm

I'd recommend you take the bar to your dealer to check out. It's hard for me to diagnose the problem from the internet, especially without photos. However: normally having slack in the safety line is not a problem. That line does nothing to affect the way the kite flies and only plays a roll after the release is triggered or the kite is dropped to that safety line, in which case it still does not matter how long it is.

I think some of the lines are older stock from when the 2010 (2011?) hole through the center of the iron heart was really narrow and the backsplice on that line could jam, so the safety needed to have a knot tied in it above that splice to prevent the jam, so the lines may have been manufactured a little long for that reason (though this is my personal speculation).

If that is the problem, I wouldn't stress about it, however as I said at the beginning, since this is a safety issue, if you don't know for sure, I'd recommend taking it to your retailer and having them check it out.

-Dan

xenosd
Rare Poster
Style: freeride, boost
Gear: 2014 12m North Rebel
2014 9m North Rebel
2018 7m North Rebel
2013 10m North Vegas
2014 Xenon Laluz

Postby xenosd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:35 am

Hi Dan,

thanks for your answer. I'll visit my local north dealer for more details. thanks. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”