Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Two kites - are 7 and 9 ok or is there too much overlap?

Forum for kitesurfers
Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Two kites - are 7 and 9 ok or is there too much overlap?

Postby Westozzy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:53 am

If you have a couple of boards then you can increase the gap. One board I'm a big believer in choosing close sizes that cover 90 percent of your wind. There is no point in having a third kite sitting in the shed depreciating for 10 percent or less kiting time.

Also it makes it a lot easier to choose which kite to put up. Windy for you 9m, crazy windy 7m.

Having more boards can really increase the bottom end of your big kite and top end of your smaller kite. This essentially increases the range between the kites.

So even if you do go just a 7 and 9 consider different board selections.

I run a 9 and 11m on a mako king, mako 140 and a skim. If light and swell just pull out the SB and go strapless. So I have close sizes and different boards which kind of contradicts the first sentence but you see what I mean.

romkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane
Been thanked: 0

Postby romkite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Agreed with others stating it depends on your wind conditions, but also what you type of conditions you like. I am 78 kg, currently riding 5,7,9. I often get quite strong winds, and I am not a light wind chaser at all. 7 & 9 are two different worlds for me, if I were 60 kg I would probably go for 6 & 8.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:15 pm

And that's why your local conditions are the most important factor, if I had the same quivers as some of these guys, 5/7/9, I would probably have like 10 sesisons per year.

jackie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None :-(
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco beaches. El Cotillo/Fuerteventura.
Been thanked: 0

Postby jackie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Thank you all for your advice! I am still not sure what to choose, but I see there is nothing wrong with 7 and 9 now which is a good start :-) The problem is that I have no local conditions, so its so hard to decide what would be the best. I even studied my kiting pictures to see what were the sizes I used the most, and its just anything between 6 and 10.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:35 pm

it's not a huge deal so don't stress too much about it but i would just add that different brands kites can be quite different sizes despite saying on them the same number so if you have different brands/models in quiver check up first. The problem would be where you ended up with a "small" 9m and a "large" 7m for example.

Have been really into riding in high winds I really do agree that it is better to have more small kites in quiver than bigger ones if you are into higher winds.

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:57 pm

7/9 will work fine so will 6/9. I am 190 lbs and have 6/9/12. Unlike the old days where a standard quiver would be something like 14/12/10/8/6 these days the kites have so much range that either way it will be fine. at 60kg I would maybe consider 9/6 only because the topend of the 6 will keep you on the water longer without getting overpowered but either way you will be happy.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:16 am

New kite designs allow for so much range, I would go 7-10, I like to keep 3m difference, 2m is way too close IMO

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 am

i ride a 7 - 10 combo and it is perfect overlap for me with 2 boards, as said above.

for you, 7-9 would keep you on the "right" kite more often but
since you will have to travel a 7-10 combo will extend your range and maybe get you on the water more often?

depends on wind and style as well,
if waves or unhooked tricks 7-9
if just free riding, 7-10

just have fun riding, whatever you decide will work....

Return to “Kitesurfing”