Rare Poster
Local Beach: agelohori
Favorite Beaches: kerros, prassonisi, rahhes
Gear: swithcblade ids
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Competitive speeds?

Postby bisdremis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:23 pm

do you guys have any mobile phone app or do you use any special gps device to measure VMG?
any recomendations on both?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:33 pm

bisdremis wrote:do you guys have any mobile phone app or do you use any special gps device to measure VMG?
Hi,

I use this http://www.amazon.co.uk/GPS-Genie-GT-31/dp/B0036PFFAQ which I understand to be very accurate and is used at many speed sailing comps.

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby alex a » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:37 pm

To get the record back I think we will have to actually get out of the water like Vestas sail rocket did. That will take a whole lot of rethinking and testing.
The smaller 3 fin boards are approaching 50 knots very rapidly though as Rob and Jamie Douglas hit 46 and 45 V max's last week in Marthas Vineyard.
Leucate should be interesting this weekend but it is a tight course so 42 knots would be a great time. I think Rob has the course record somewhere around 42 knots.

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:47 pm

bisdremis wrote:do you guys have any mobile phone app or do you use any special gps device to measure VMG?
I am not sure but I think the GPS phone apps are a little suspect and give out some bad data like you are going 35 knots when really you are hitting around 24.
The GT 31 by Locosys is the standard and you can get different programs to read VMG. I saw Joey Pasquali and Simone Vanucci with some very high tech GPS watches that I think cost around $500 each but not sure what brand they were. They would plug in the data together on the computer and watch themselves race each other, pretty cool stuff..

IVSHORE-MTL
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valois Bay - Montreal
Style: Freestyle & Course racing
Gear: airush xpact 2007 138cm, cabrinha prodigy 2009 158cm, roush skimboard, Cabrinha OmegaHD 2007 15m, North Rebel 2007 10m

Postby IVSHORE-MTL » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:50 pm

This app for android is great! https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... azzz&hl=en

I have tested it using a transparent waterproof pelican-type case jammed into my back center footstrap in light winds. The readings are good and the wealth of info both on-screen seen through the case transparent top during on-water training and available after export is amazing. You can use the following software to calculate polars, VMG and look at your track. http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr/

Regarding accuracy: if signal is good it writes gps data every second. if signal is lost there is a
3s interval to wait while data becomes more clean.

kinchencool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bucerias, nuevo vallarta,
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, La Ventana, Progreso, Maui, SandBar
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: Slingshot RPM, Ozone Edge

Postby kinchencool » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:08 pm

IVSHORE-MTL wrote:This app for android is great! https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... azzz&hl=en

I have tested it using a transparent waterproof pelican-type case jammed into my back center footstrap in light winds. The readings are good and the wealth of info both on-screen seen through the case transparent top during on-water training and available after export is amazing. You can use the following software to calculate polars, VMG and look at your track. http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr/

Regarding accuracy: if signal is good it writes gps data every second. if signal is lost there is a
3s interval to wait while data becomes more clean.
wow looks nice i already got it into my android but how do you stick it to your back footstrap thanks

IVSHORE-MTL
Rare Poster
Gear: airush xpact 2007 138cm, cabrinha prodigy 2009 158cm, roush skimboard, Cabrinha OmegaHD 2007 15m, North Rebel 2007 10m

Postby IVSHORE-MTL » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:32 pm

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/ ... o-case.jsp

I dont have that exact case, but something like it. You want the transparent top so you can look at your speeds and whatever else you want to display depending on the mode your in. Put some foam to cradle your phone inside the case, make it snug! then take this case and stick it into your footstrap. Tie a little rope to your footstap screw in case it slips out. It should float anyways. Also fits in a big lifejacket pocket.

kinchencool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bucerias, nuevo vallarta,
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, La Ventana, Progreso, Maui, SandBar
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: Slingshot RPM, Ozone Edge

Postby kinchencool » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:09 am

IVSHORE-MTL wrote:http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/ ... o-case.jsp

I dont have that exact case, but something like it. You want the transparent top so you can look at your speeds and whatever else you want to display depending on the mode your in. Put some foam to cradle your phone inside the case, make it snug! then take this case and stick it into your footstrap. Tie a little rope to your footstap screw in case it slips out. It should float anyways. Also fits in a big lifejacket pocket.
great great info. because i wasnt able to offer a garmin right now, so thats great i can use my adroind so you jam it into your middle backfootstrap? the chicken strap? the problem is i dont have one i have the inserts but i gotta buy one for my board haha but great advise! i may buy a smaller pelican and snap it inside my wetsuit one more, how do you get maps without wifi out there? thanks

IVSHORE-MTL
Rare Poster

Postby IVSHORE-MTL » Thu May 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah i put it in the back middle strap(chicken strap) when its lightwind since i dont use that strap unless it gets windy and then i stick it in my lifejacket pocket. I never use maps on the water, only polar graphs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”